Sweetline Railroad

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Sweetline Railroad

Unread post by MQT1223 »

A recent post on the "Where Am I" thread got me wondering. Did this railroad ever haul any tourists? I cannot find much info on it. Equipment looks to be deteriorating badly and the track is in no better shape. Was this some guys dream that never came to be? What was the Sweetline Railroad?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Sweetline Railroad

Unread post by AARR »

I don't think they carried tourists but some motor cars have traveled between Carson City and Middleton.

I think it was named after an employee at Kellogg's Elevator (who bought the line around 1984 IIRC). Think it shut down around 1987ish(?). Not enough traffic to keep it open. Kellogg's was the only customer that I can recall. The other rail customer, Klein Fertilizer, moved to Perrinton around 1984 to retain rail service.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

I think Sweetline RR briefly leased/borrowed/used? one of the ex-MIGN GP's after they shut down. I've seen pics of a fireless cooker on the property, from one of the Wyandotte area railroads, as well as a GE of some model or the other.

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

Here is a link to some pictures. Unfortunately, the included links are quite useless.
http://www.railroadmichigan.com/sweetline.html

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Is the speeder group on this line still in existence?
From this photo (below) it looked like they hauled tourists in 2005.

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

I haven't heard of anything being advertised for a long, long time. The track doesn't look like it's been maintained to the slightest in years. Judging from the last time I saw it, I wouldn't ride a motorcar down that if you paid me. Too much debris on the tracks and there's just not much left. Hopefully someone with some inside knowledge can provide input. It'd be better than our sputtering and assumptions.
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

George Dines
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by George Dines »

For those interested, they'll be Speeder runs on the Sweetline this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I'll be there with my 1949 Fairmont M-19.
Visit my YouTube for more Railroad and Aerial Videos: http://bit.ly/1MXl5Ao

http://www.MidwestRailExcursions.com