GDLK Spur

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

GDLK Spur

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Did a spur use to exist on the north side of Grand Elk's yard? Few months back I was going down Steele St. and I noticed an old, rusty relay case and some rusty overgrown rails leading up to the road. On the opposite side in the fence is a gate (blocked by semi trailers).

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: GDLK Spur

Unread post by Saturnalia »

North of Burton, there were tracks just everywhere. One even connected to the PM eastbound near Madison.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Off the NYC it went east along the south side of Guardsman Chem and Keeler Brass, then a siding for Krogers and Michigan Wheel, across Buchanan to other players, across Division and into the web of factories from RoweAMI to Dohler Jarvis. Did connnect to the PM/C&O out towards Madison back in the day.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

It came to an end during very early Conrail days. I remember seeing boxcars at Keeler Brass on a regular basis in the 70's and early 80's. I remember a crossing over Division from back in the day but never saw anything on it. The crossing of Buchanan was gone by the early 70's too.
And GDLK never had anything on it at all. Long gone before the people that work for GDLK were born. Well a lot of them anyway.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

KittyLitter wrote:Off the NYC it went east along the south side of Guardsman Chem and Keeler Brass, then a siding for Krogers and Michigan Wheel, across Buchanan to other players, across Division and into the web of factories from RoweAMI to Dohler Jarvis. Did connnect to the PM/C&O out towards Madison back in the day.
MQT3001 wrote:North of Burton, there were tracks just everywhere. One even connected to the PM eastbound near Madison.
KittyLitter wrote:It came to an end during very early Conrail days. I remember seeing boxcars at Keeler Brass on a regular basis in the 70's and early 80's. I remember a crossing over Division from back in the day but never saw anything on it. The crossing of Buchanan was gone by the early 70's too.
And GDLK never had anything on it at all. Long gone before the people that work for GDLK were born. Well a lot of them anyway.
Man, Can you even trace any of that on a map today or is it all grown over and developed?

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

There are still rails in the ground and in parking lots near Cottage Grove and Madison areas south of the CSX main line. Havn't snooped down there in some time. I used to work at Fruehauf Trailer on Steele Street (now a Trailmobile dealer) in the 70's. Hughart was right in the back yard right outside the parts room door. The every other day local to Jackson would get his airtest and wait for the bills right there. Nice to take 9AM break sitting on a flatbed trailer watching the trains. 72 to 76 was the time frame. PC was still very much in business and still busy around Hughart. Trains to Muskegon, Cadillac, Jackson and Elkhart. Nice stuff!
Curb Your Enthusiasm.