Diesel Preservation What's Next?

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Diesel Preservation What's Next?

Unread post by MQT1223 »

When people think of diesel preservation most think about vintage EMD, GE, ALCO and Baldwin units of all kinds. All of the surviving Fairbanks-Morse units are no longer in freight service, and even Lima was fortunate enough to have a few of their diesels preserved. F units and E units, 44 tonners, SW9's, FA's, S-2's, H-10-44's, SD9's, GP9's, U25's, U33's C420's, RS3's, C630's, various rebuilds such as CF7's and SD10 and GP10's and anything in between can all be found in museum's and even still in service to this day on a few unique railroads. But now picture this when walking into museum's 30 years from now, SD40's, SD40-2's, SD45's, B32-8's, B40-8s... some known for reliability, some known for being failures are now starting to enter museum collections. Two SD40-2's have been donated/traded to museums fresh out of service, both from the UP. A handful of SD45's have been donated around the country, notable examples being Wisconsin Central 7525 in OPERATION LIFESAVER paint and the Erie Lackawanna SD45 at the MOT in St. Louis. Now GE's are entering the preservation game, with B32-8 #3563 being donated from NS (BLT in 1989 for NS, retired due to engine problems) and UP B40-8 #1848 (BLT in 1988 for SP subsidiary Cotton Belt) donated to IRM just in time for the 2014 diesel days in running condition. Railfan's fought for the preservation of the last Montana Rail Link SDP45 and saved it from the torch. SD40's are now entering the preservation category with the very first test bed SD40, EMD 434, constructed on an SD35 frame in July 1964 was in active service until retired by Canadian National Railway in March 2009 and donated to the Monticello Railway Museum in July 2009, albeit having been upgraded to an "SD40-2R", as Illinois Central 6071. Joining ICRR #6071 are now two NS locomotives, #1580 is slated to be preserved and donated although the announcement has not been made yet. This was the N&W's first High Hood SD40. NS #3170 is the Southern's first High Hood SD40, and is now operational for the first time since 2007 after having it's blown engine replaced. It is going to be repainted into the Southern Tuxedo scheme upon delivery to an unknown museum. Even modern passenger power is being donated or preserved on tourist lines, such as F40's and converted cab cars.

What's next in diesel preservation? Could we see GP39's,40's, 50's, and 60's being donated? Could MP15's and other modern switchers end up in museum's? Could rebuilds like Gensets, GP22ECO's and others be a key part in a museum collection? Only one GP38 of any kind has been donated, and a former GM&O GP35 is on its way for restoration. Could we see SD50's, 60's, 70's, 75's 80's or even SD90's being donated one day? Surely the Conrail fans out there would love to see an SD80MAC donated and repainted into the "Conrail Quality" paint scheme again. One day could an SD70ACe be considered a museum piece? Could GE AC series engines and Dash 9 diesels be donated? Dash 8 and Dash 7 diesels are in museum's now. Could a GEVO wind up in a museum? Could B32-8W's and P42's be in museum's along side F40's?

What diesel locomotives are the next Museum pieces? What "vintage modern diesels" are next to sit along side the diesels they replaced such as F units, ALCO's, U Boats and even steam locomotives? (If I got any of the diesel model's wrong don't blame me, I'm still learning)

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: Diesel Preservation What's Next?

Unread post by Ypsi »

The answer is yes anything and everything can be preserved.. The UP SD40-2 and NS B32-8 are some of the more modern pieces preserved, and rumor is the pair of CNW unpatched units are to be preserved at IRM when UP retires them. There's also the George H W Bush SD70ACe on UP #4141 which I have read is to go to the bush estate/ tomb when he dies or something silly like that (it hasn't seen service in years and is tarped up in like Arkensas)..

One day anything is up for grabs, but that's after they go trough second hand owners or even third or forth hands. The Amtrak units will likely end up on commuter roads or even some short lines (the P32's wouldn't be too bad for a short line), and freight railroads like to rebuild units now lots and lots of rebuilds. And don't forget short lines, many shortlne units are in their 3rd or 4th owners. There's also always lease fleets too.. Point is lots of ways to get rid of a loco before it ends its useful life and can potentially be preserved (like it or not people will always try to save things instead of making razor blades :lol:)
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I wouldn't be shocked to turn 50 and SD40-2s are still in freight service in multiple places around the country.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:The answer is yes anything and everything can be preserved.. The UP SD40-2 and NS B32-8 are some of the more modern pieces preserved, and rumor is the pair of CNW unpatched units are to be preserved at IRM when UP retires them. There's also the George H W Bush SD70ACe on UP #4141 which I have read is to go to the bush estate/ tomb when he dies or something silly like that (it hasn't seen service in years and is tarped up in like Arkensas)..

One day anything is up for grabs, but that's after they go trough second hand owners or even third or forth hands. The Amtrak units will likely end up on commuter roads or even some short lines (the P32's wouldn't be too bad for a short line), and freight railroads like to rebuild units now lots and lots of rebuilds. And don't forget short lines, many shortlne units are in their 3rd or 4th owners. There's also always lease fleets too.. Point is lots of ways to get rid of a loco before it ends its useful life and can potentially be preserved (like it or not people will always try to save things instead of making razor blades :lol:)
I could see a short line or regional using the Amtrak B32-WH locomotives in freight service since passenger locomotives seem to have a career in freight service as secondhand power once their life in the fast lane is over. Why would UP park something like the George Bush SD70ACe? Are they not powershort?

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:I wouldn't be shocked to turn 50 and SD40-2s are still in freight service in multiple places around the country.
They won't be as common as they are now, but I agree. I think by that time any SD40-3 rebuilds would be in that position, or even SD40-4's or SD40-5's if a railroad were to continue rebuilding and upgrading the versatile SD40 series locos. SD40's and SD40-2's I think would be museum pieces since they would be approaching 90 years old when your 50, which is hard to think about now.

I wonder if any SD35's have been preserved.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

It was removed from service in the traffic down turn in the mid two thousands, and is wrapped up at UP shops.. There are also rumors that it was being vandalized so they took it out of service... Having a unit represent a presesident is silly IMO because you could really tick off a shipper (I guess the unit was paid for by some republican support group with a lot of $$)
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:It was removed from service in the traffic down turn in the mid two thousands, and is wrapped up at UP shops.. There are also rumors that it was being vandalized so they took it out of service... Having a unit represent a presesident is silly IMO because you could really tick off a shipper (I guess the unit was paid for by some republican support group with a lot of $$)
Ya I don't see the point of it. I think UP should just repaint it.

Matt Short Line H
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Matt Short Line H »

MQT1223 wrote:When people think of diesel preservation most think about vintage EMD, GE, ALCO and Baldwin units of all kinds. All of the surviving Fairbanks-Morse units are no longer in freight service, and even Lima was fortunate enough to have a few of their diesels preserved. F units and E units, 44 tonners, SW9's, FA's, S-2's, H-10-44's, SD9's, GP9's, U25's, U33's C420's, RS3's, C630's, various rebuilds such as CF7's and SD10 and GP10's and anything in between can all be found in museum's and even still in service to this day on a few unique railroads. But now picture this when walking into museum's 30 years from now, SD40's, SD40-2's, SD45's, B32-8's, B40-8s... some known for reliability, some known for being failures are now starting to enter museum collections. Two SD40-2's have been donated/traded to museums fresh out of service, both from the UP. A handful of SD45's have been donated around the country, notable examples being Wisconsin Central 7525 in OPERATION LIFESAVER paint and the Erie Lackawanna SD45 at the MOT in St. Louis. Now GE's are entering the preservation game, with B32-8 #3563 being donated from NS (BLT in 1989 for NS, retired due to engine problems) and UP B40-8 #1848 (BLT in 1988 for SP subsidiary Cotton Belt) donated to IRM just in time for the 2014 diesel days in running condition. Railfan's fought for the preservation of the last Montana Rail Link SDP45 and saved it from the torch. SD40's are now entering the preservation category with the very first test bed SD40, EMD 434, constructed on an SD35 frame in July 1964 was in active service until retired by Canadian National Railway in March 2009 and donated to the Monticello Railway Museum in July 2009, albeit having been upgraded to an "SD40-2R", as Illinois Central 6071. Joining ICRR #6071 are now two NS locomotives, #1580 is slated to be preserved and donated although the announcement has not been made yet. This was the N&W's first High Hood SD40. NS #3170 is the Southern's first High Hood SD40, and is now operational for the first time since 2007 after having it's blown engine replaced. It is going to be repainted into the Southern Tuxedo scheme upon delivery to an unknown museum. Even modern passenger power is being donated or preserved on tourist lines, such as F40's and converted cab cars.

What's next in diesel preservation? Could we see GP39's,40's, 50's, and 60's being donated? Could MP15's and other modern switchers end up in museum's? Could rebuilds like Gensets, GP22ECO's and others be a key part in a museum collection? Only one GP38 of any kind has been donated, and a former GM&O GP35 is on its way for restoration. Could we see SD50's, 60's, 70's, 75's 80's or even SD90's being donated one day? Surely the Conrail fans out there would love to see an SD80MAC donated and repainted into the "Conrail Quality" paint scheme again. One day could an SD70ACe be considered a museum piece? Could GE AC series engines and Dash 9 diesels be donated? Dash 8 and Dash 7 diesels are in museum's now. Could a GEVO wind up in a museum? Could B32-8W's and P42's be in museum's along side F40's?

What diesel locomotives are the next Museum pieces? What "vintage modern diesels" are next to sit along side the diesels they replaced such as F units, ALCO's, U Boats and even steam locomotives? (If I got any of the diesel model's wrong don't blame me, I'm still learning)
I like how you pointed out everything here. Yea It is amazing to see Dash 8's & SD40's being donated especially in running condition but hey I like it!
YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:The answer is yes anything and everything can be preserved.. The UP SD40-2 and NS B32-8 are some of the more modern pieces preserved, and rumor is the pair of CNW unpatched units are to be preserved at IRM when UP retires them. There's also the George H W Bush SD70ACe on UP #4141 which I have read is to go to the bush estate/ tomb when he dies or something silly like that (it hasn't seen service in years and is tarped up in like Arkensas)..

It would be amazing to see 8646 & 8701 at IRM once there retired. I've heard wild rumors that the CNW Heritage Unit when retired is also to go to IRM. But that shouldn't be for awhile like 20-40 years. And what about the Unpatched SP units? How many are out there? Lol
"You want to be original, you want to be yourself, and whether that's accepted or not accepted, that's not as important as being you" - Tyler Hubbard, Half of Duo Florida Georgia Line

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

MQT1223 wrote:I could see a short line or regional using the Amtrak B32-WH locomotives in freight service since passenger locomotives seem to have a career in freight service as secondhand power once their life in the fast lane is over. Why would UP park something like the George Bush SD70ACe? Are they not powershort?
Completely disagree. Those were not designed for heavy hauls. It would require rebuilding to get those things ready for regular freight service. When NS leased Amtrak F40s in the 90s, they ran into several issues. The things were ripping themselves apart. They're useful for switching and corridor trains right now, though. UP 4141 has had several issues in the past 5 or 6 years and I don't think it's left the Little Rock Shops since it got there.
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

AMTK55 wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:I could see a short line or regional using the Amtrak B32-WH locomotives in freight service since passenger locomotives seem to have a career in freight service as secondhand power once their life in the fast lane is over. Why would UP park something like the George Bush SD70ACe? Are they not powershort?
Completely disagree. Those were not designed for heavy hauls. It would require rebuilding to get those things ready for regular freight service. When NS leased Amtrak F40s in the 90s, they ran into several issues. The things were ripping themselves apart. They're useful for switching and corridor trains right now, though. UP 4141 has had several issues in the past 5 or 6 years and I don't think it's left the Little Rock Shops since it got there.
Sure they weren't designed for heavy hauls, but if Amtrak was desperate enough to get rid of them I could see it happening. Western Maryland used BL2's in drag freight service when they were built for branchline service and light trains, even with their history of cracking frames. GG1's were used both ways as well, although you can argue because they were electric it would be different. NS leased F40's? That's news to me. The thoroughbred paint scheme would look awesome on an F40, better then YN3.
Matt Short Line H wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:When people think of diesel preservation most think about vintage EMD, GE, ALCO and Baldwin units of all kinds. All of the surviving Fairbanks-Morse units are no longer in freight service, and even Lima was fortunate enough to have a few of their diesels preserved. F units and E units, 44 tonners, SW9's, FA's, S-2's, H-10-44's, SD9's, GP9's, U25's, U33's C420's, RS3's, C630's, various rebuilds such as CF7's and SD10 and GP10's and anything in between can all be found in museum's and even still in service to this day on a few unique railroads. But now picture this when walking into museum's 30 years from now, SD40's, SD40-2's, SD45's, B32-8's, B40-8s... some known for reliability, some known for being failures are now starting to enter museum collections. Two SD40-2's have been donated/traded to museums fresh out of service, both from the UP. A handful of SD45's have been donated around the country, notable examples being Wisconsin Central 7525 in OPERATION LIFESAVER paint and the Erie Lackawanna SD45 at the MOT in St. Louis. Now GE's are entering the preservation game, with B32-8 #3563 being donated from NS (BLT in 1989 for NS, retired due to engine problems) and UP B40-8 #1848 (BLT in 1988 for SP subsidiary Cotton Belt) donated to IRM just in time for the 2014 diesel days in running condition. Railfan's fought for the preservation of the last Montana Rail Link SDP45 and saved it from the torch. SD40's are now entering the preservation category with the very first test bed SD40, EMD 434, constructed on an SD35 frame in July 1964 was in active service until retired by Canadian National Railway in March 2009 and donated to the Monticello Railway Museum in July 2009, albeit having been upgraded to an "SD40-2R", as Illinois Central 6071. Joining ICRR #6071 are now two NS locomotives, #1580 is slated to be preserved and donated although the announcement has not been made yet. This was the N&W's first High Hood SD40. NS #3170 is the Southern's first High Hood SD40, and is now operational for the first time since 2007 after having it's blown engine replaced. It is going to be repainted into the Southern Tuxedo scheme upon delivery to an unknown museum. Even modern passenger power is being donated or preserved on tourist lines, such as F40's and converted cab cars.

I like how you pointed out everything here. Yea It is amazing to see Dash 8's & SD40's being donated especially in running condition but hey I like it!

It would be amazing to see 8646 & 8701 at IRM once there retired. I've heard wild rumors that the CNW Heritage Unit when retired is also to go to IRM. But that shouldn't be for awhile like 20-40 years. And what about the Unpatched SP units? How many are out there? Lol

Well considering both C&NW units and the heritage unit have been on the IRM's property more then once and at the same time I think they would fit just nicely. I know there are more unpatched SP units out there still as well as patched ones, so the patch could be undone. What about that leasing company that bought a bunch of SP SD45T-2 tunnel motors, they kept the paint and numbers and just added their reporting marks. LELX or something I think?

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

I hope they preserve some ACes and gevos.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

J T wrote:I hope they preserve some ACes and gevos.
I hope Amtrak clear-coats the 90368 and keeps it as their legacy-heritage power.

I heard the CSX RN give out EC1 90368 to D707 yesterday as they were EB...

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

I think the mid-generation GPs and SDs are going to get harder to aquire by museums and such. As we dive into the "green generation" more and more rebuilders are using the "bases" of these units to build eco-friendly switchers and road power. The GP30 frame and trucks seems to be the most popular unit to slap gen-sets into or dump a CNG prime mover and alternator with all kinds of fancy micro processor controlled, individual axle controlling, direct to management reporting control systems. They are pulling the GP35s :shock: into this now, too. It will be interesting to see where this all goes. :?:

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:
J T wrote:I hope they preserve some ACes and gevos.
I hope Amtrak clear-coats the 90368 and keeps it as their legacy-heritage power.

I heard the CSX RN give out EC1 90368 to D707 yesterday as they were EB...
Alex care to explain what 90368 is?

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote: Alex care to explain what 90368 is?
90368 is a steaming pile of crap!!
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

J T wrote:
In JT's World....png

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:
J T wrote:
In JT's World....png
Ok so the last cabbage in original paint, I think it looks terrible.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

SPOC... :lol:

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:SPOC... :lol:
:lol: There are places in that thing that are rusted all the way through. I got an up close look at it when it pulled into the GR station a few months back when I filmed it, and I can't believe how ratty it looks. I miss the repainted cabbage that hit a truck.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

I will also note that Western Pacific 1503, the last switcher purchased new by the Western Pacific is in museum hands as well. It is an SW1500, fairly new for a switcher already in a museum.