Standard Cab Comeback???

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Standard Cab Comeback???

Unread post by MQT1223 »

I know that there are perks to the wide cabs on diesels and that they have become a standard feature in diesel locomotives since the late 90's. However, with that in mind is their any reason at all to manufacture locomotives with standard cabs like as a cost cutting measure? Could SD70ACe's and GEVO's be made with a standard cab? Are standard cabs even an option anymore? I don't think a standard cab has been made on a large locomotive since the standard SD70's came out.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Re: Standard Cab Comeback???

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT1223 wrote:I know that there are perks to the wide cabs on diesels and that they have become a standard feature in diesel locomotives since the late 90's. However, with that in mind is their any reason at all to manufacture locomotives with standard cabs like as a cost cutting measure? Could SD70ACe's and GEVO's be made with a standard cab? Are standard cabs even an option anymore? I don't think a standard cab has been made on a large locomotive since the standard SD70's came out.
Anything is an option if you want to pay the money for it. I'm sure GE or EMD would be more than happy to make a 'standard cab' locomotive for you, just be prepared to pay the full cost of the additional engineering, testing, manufacturing, etc.

Practice Safe CSX

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

CSX_CO wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:I know that there are perks to the wide cabs on diesels and that they have become a standard feature in diesel locomotives since the late 90's. However, with that in mind is their any reason at all to manufacture locomotives with standard cabs like as a cost cutting measure? Could SD70ACe's and GEVO's be made with a standard cab? Are standard cabs even an option anymore? I don't think a standard cab has been made on a large locomotive since the standard SD70's came out.
Anything is an option if you want to pay the money for it. I'm sure GE or EMD would be more than happy to make a 'standard cab' locomotive for you, just be prepared to pay the full cost of the additional engineering, testing, manufacturing, etc.

Practice Safe CSX
CSX_CO i'm sure you have probably rode in both a standard cab locomotive and a wide cab loco. Which would you prefer and why?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Widecab locomotives are not as practical for switching and local work, which is why CSX, NS, UP and others continue to rebuild older GPs and SDs with standard cabs.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SD80MAC wrote:Widecab locomotives are not as practical for switching and local work, which is why CSX, NS, UP and others continue to rebuild older GPs and SDs with standard cabs.
But I'm saying if EMD was to offer say a GP70 that had the option of being used as a standard cab yard switcher or mainline/branchline locomotive. Like an entirely new model. Same for GE.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Weren't the NRE Gensets supposed to be the "switcher of the future", only to have them be a miserable failure?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

EMD/Progress Rail has offered quasi-new standard cab locomtives in the form of ECO series Geeps and SDs. The railroad has to provide an older locomotive as a core and it is virtually stripped down to the bare frame and rebuilt as a "new" locomotive. CP has been a customer of these GP20Cs and SD30Cs.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SD80MAC wrote:EMD/Progress Rail has offered quasi-new standard cab locomtives in the form of ECO series Geeps and SDs. The railroad has to provide an older locomotive as a core and it is virtually stripped down to the bare frame and rebuilt as a "new" locomotive. CP has been a customer of these GP20Cs and SD30Cs.
I guess you can count that.