Grandville Depot

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: Grandville Depot

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Some great photos of CSX depot buildings on this thread here.... since that time, the Fowlerville depot had an entirely new roof put on and looks little like it did historically.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11273

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:99.9% of wooden poles are narrower at the top...they are trees! They might look more or less the same because they look smaller from farther away anyway...so it is a bit harder to pick out what's distance and what is actually reduction in diameter. My uncle works for a phone company and used to work on poles and whatnot...most of those residential poles carrying offshoots to properties are no more than a hand's length across at the top, despite decent size at the base.
I get that, but the early telephone poles look way better considering they were cut from old growth timber. Its more drastic in the diameter differences.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

polefan.com fight!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:polefan.com fight!
??? :?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

kenN
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kenN »

The tracks behind the depot were a team track, if anything at all. The interurban in Grandville ran along Prarie, which is a couple of blocks south of Chicago Drive, nowhere close to the C&O depot.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

kenN wrote:The tracks behind the depot were a team track, if anything at all. The interurban in Grandville ran along Prarie, which is a couple of blocks south of Chicago Drive, nowhere close to the C&O depot.
No they actually ran along 30th meeting Chicago Drive at Wilson. They had a transfer area nearby for people wanting to board the PM.

kenN
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kenN »

Sorry, my bad. I knew it was 30th st. KJN

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

kenN wrote:Sorry, my bad. I knew it was 30th st. KJN
Hey man were all human. Mistakes happen. I will add that there was an interchange in the Jenison area where the PM and GR,H&C could interchange freight.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:Image
Where in the world did you find that? That's weird I thought that main two was always one continuous track.

C&O6084
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O6084 »

Pic of the double track interurban was taken nowhere near Grandville; it was taken near what's now Port Sheldon and 8th Avenue.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

C&O6084 wrote:Pic of the double track interurban was taken nowhere near Grandville; it was taken near what's now Port Sheldon and 8th Avenue.
I was just going off of the information provided from the picture, so I wasn't sure myself. It was in the Grandville section so that's all I had to go off of.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

C&O6084 wrote:Pic of the double track interurban was taken nowhere near Grandville; it was taken near what's now Port Sheldon and 8th Avenue.
I think you forgot to post it ???

C&O6084
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O6084 »

Incorrect, Young Grasshopper. Contemplate your world as it extends far beyond a single "page up" or "page down" -- it's there. I'll leave your finding it as an exercise in diligence and attentiveness. Just don't take more than 45 seconds.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

C&O6084 wrote:Incorrect, Young Grasshopper. Contemplate your world as it extends far beyond a single "page up" or "page down" -- it's there. I'll leave your finding it as an exercise in diligence and attentiveness. Just don't take more than 45 seconds.
MQT3001 wrote:
I think you forgot to post it ???
:lol: this sounds like something I would do. Its a link to a pic Alex.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

I didn't realize has was referencing a link from the previous page...I went back and found it.

Usually, that sort of response comes with the link quoted. In no way an indictment on C&O...just that I was thrown off by it :D