Chessie/CSX Mainline Steam (Past)

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Chessie/CSX Mainline Steam (Past)

Unread post by MQT1223 »

THIS IS NOT ABOUT WHY CSX WON'T ALLOW EXCURSIONS NOW OR ASKING WHY BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW, but I was curious as to how many steam excursions did come through the Grand Rapids/Grandville/Wyoming area back when steam was not banned from CSX. Not sure if this should be in the history thread either. :D Pictures would be neat too. I am aware of the 1225 ferry run from Ann Pere to Grand Rapids and return as prep for the '91 NRHS convention, NKP 765 dressed as C&O 2765 in 1993/1994 (not sure which year), 614 in the early 80's and 2101 in the late 70's. I have seen only a handful of pictures here and there, and was curious if more was out there. I dream of the day a big berk or 4-8-4 (or anything for that matter) will one day return to West Michigan via CSX. I do believe some fresh minds in the higher ups can definitely change things, even if we have to wait longer then most. I know it will come, but I don't know how long I will have to wait to see it.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

J T
Hates Supper

Re: Chessie/CSX Mainline Steam (Past)

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote:I dream of the day a big berk or 4-8-4 (or anything for that matter) will one day return to West Michigan via CSX. I do believe some fresh minds in the higher ups can definitely change things, even if we have to wait longer (than) most. I know it will come, but I don't know how long I will have to wait to see it.
NO, IT WON'T COME, SO QUIT WAITING FOR IT TO HAPPEN! :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

2765 ran to Holland, then back east in 1993.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Never know...Class I power structures, including at CSX, are nearing a generational change right now...the CEOs are reaching retirement age.

As for when it happens next time, I've got my spots picked out! #thornappleriverbridge
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:Never know...Class I power structures, including at CSX, are nearing a generational change right now...the CEOs are reaching retirement age.

As for when it happens next time, I've got my spots picked out! #thornappleriverbridge
That's what I'm banking on. NS went through this phase and thanks to Wick Moorman is out of it. Canadian Pacific is going through the Anti-Steam phase right now. When Hunter Harrison leaves (assuming CP hasn't merged, which it probably won't, and yes I think Hunter Harrison will retire again soon), I bet 2816 comes back albeit not right away. They still allow Milwaukee Road 261 on their rails fortunately. I got my spots picked as well my friend, along with pacing on Chicago Drive! It will be nice to see steam so close to home, no long drives to worry about.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I'd also like to see some photos if anyone has a few to share! :)

Here's the 1977-1978 schedule of the Chessie Steam Special, which used former Reading T1 #2101 for power. It came to Michigan and ran several trips each season around the mitten:

http://www.themetrains.com/chessie-stea ... meline.htm

The Chessie Safety Express came to Michigan in 1981, using much of the same equipment, but a new locomotive on the headend - freshly rebuilt C&O #614:

http://www.themetrains.com/chessie-safe ... meline.htm

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Just read the financial section to see what way CSX is going towards in its "generational change." So, voluntary separations to reduce management levels, now layoffs for additional cost savings, yeah that harkens a return of steam to the rails...

Never mind the ever increasing liability insurance.

Practice Safe CSX

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

CSX_CO wrote:Just read the financial section to see what way CSX is going towards in its "generational change." So, voluntary separations to reduce management levels, now layoffs for additional cost savings, yeah that harkens a return of steam to the rails...

Never mind the ever increasing liability insurance.

Practice Safe CSX
I guess I knew you were going to chime in at some point... I would point you in the direction of NS and say "Look at what they are doing" but that would only stir your pot more. If steam ever does return to CSX it obviously would not be an in house program like Union Pacific's (No this is not an invite about the UP steam situation) but it would most likely be modeled after NS or BNSF. NS allows more steam so that most likely means more $$$ when it comes to insurance. If you are like BNSF you allow steam when possible and decline it when traffic dictates then I would be ok with that as well. Like I said I'm probably stirring your pot a little bit more but I am optimistic about seeing steam return one day.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

NS Is being run by a buff, that's the only reason they have what they have.

CSX is being run by an operations guy, with a numbers guy being groomed to take over. Don't hold your breath on steam on CSX.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

CSX_CO wrote:NS Is being run by a buff, that's the only reason they have what they have.

CSX is being run by an operations guy, with a numbers guy being groomed to take over. Don't hold your breath on steam on CSX.
NS's isn't doing bad. Wick Moorman might like steam but I don't think that a huge company would put someone in charge that doesn't know what they are doing, likewise for CSX. There numbers are up as well. I haven't seen or read any of the articles, but they are doing well just like CSX. Now if your a CP fan, which I hear you are, :wink: :lol: then you know not who to put in charge of a railroad.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT1223 wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:NS Is being run by a buff, that's the only reason they have what they have.

NS's isn't doing bad. Wick Moorman might like steam but I don't think that a huge company would put someone in charge that doesn't know what they are doing, likewise for CSX. There numbers are up as well. I haven't seen or read any of the articles, but they are doing well just like CSX. Now if your a CP fan, which I hear you are, :wink: :lol: then you know not who to put in charge of a railroad.
Depends on who you as to the health of NS. financially they're doing well. But more to it than just numbers. If they were doing so well, they wouldn't have shelved the steam this summer. But, outside the scope of this subject.

CSX ran the ferry move of the CP Steamer in 2004 across the northern part of the system. Probably the last time steam was on CSX I think?
Last edited by CSX_CO on Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

MQT3001 wrote:Never know...Class I power structures, including at CSX, are nearing a generational change right now...the CEOs are reaching retirement age.

Ummmm they will probably just hire another CEO north of 55... most CEO's are at retirement age in most companies much of the time. There are not the generational changes at the top the way they happen lower down the totem pole. You won't get a 40 year old replacing a 65 year old most likely.

What's more, CEO's don't usually stick around long enough for a generational shift to be nearing. They usually last 10 years at the most... no results then you no be CEO anymore.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

CSX_CO wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:

Depends on who you as to the health of NS. financially they're doing well. But more to it than just numbers. If they were doing so well, they wouldn't have shelved the steam this summer. But, outside the scope of this subject.

CSX ran the ferry move of the CP Steamer in 2004 across the northern part of the system. Probably the last time steam was on CSX I think?
NS shelved the program for most of last year due to traffic increases and not enough crews. Now this is news to me about CP 2816. I was not aware 2816 was on CSX rails at some point. I wonder what that was all about. The last move of any steam that I can find prior to that was C&O 2716 returning from Fort Wayne dead in tow. 1225 was suppose to come to GR in 2004 however someone at SRI bragged too much about it and CSX scrapped the idea. But now that I think of it, Southern 630 was wyed on CSX trackage at one point either last year or 2013. Whether that consisted of using NS trackage rights or an agreement was struck I don't know. It was in Kentucky or Ohio. If you count that that was the last time steam has been on CSX on its own wheels. The 1309 move doesn't count since it was on a flatcar.

CSX_CO maybe you could shed some light on this, but any clue as to why CSX banned steam? I've seen anywhere from insurance costs, groups taking advantage of CSX, a derailment and someone getting injured because they got too close. Everyone minus UP and BN kinda seemed to go anti steam around the same time, and CP was just around the corner of reacquiring 2816.

After this lets TRY (as hard as it will be), to get back to the original question on this thread.

srjason
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by srjason »

In theory, couldn't NS use trackage rights over CSX and run steam? (Ie. Getting into Cincy from the dayton district). Without updating trackage rights agreements I'm pretty sure they can't tell NS they can't run steam. But, I may be completely wrong in my understanding of how trackage rights work, so take my theory with a grain of salt.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

srjason wrote:In theory, couldn't NS use trackage rights over CSX and run steam? (Ie. Getting into Cincy from the dayton district). Without updating trackage rights agreements I'm pretty sure they can't tell NS they can't run steam. But, I may be completely wrong in my understanding of how trackage rights work, so take my theory with a grain of salt.

I am sure that most of these agreements have a clause that says "acceptable equipment" And considering most steam runs under waivers because of age and safety equipment standards this excludes the practice as well. Not only that but most time tables have maximum axle loadings for the line as well so many of your large steam engines violate those engineering rules as well.

But I am sure I am wrong about all this and someone will make sure to point it out.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

NS shelved steam for this summer? That's going to be news to a lot of these groups, FWRHS, TVRM and VMT/611.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

TrainWatcher wrote:NS shelved steam for this summer? That's going to be news to a lot of these groups, FWRHS, TVRM and VMT/611.
Do you have confirmation on this?

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT1223 wrote:
TrainWatcher wrote:NS shelved steam for this summer? That's going to be news to a lot of these groups, FWRHS, TVRM and VMT/611.
Do you read and comprehend what's posted before posting?

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

CSX_CO wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
Do you read and comprehend what's posted before posting?
Yes but who knows what info people are witholding. Ik things about SRI that I am sure no body else on this board knows but people can make assumptions. I was just questioning the validity. I can read...

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

So what is it you want confirmation of then?