Conrail's GR to Jackson Line

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Conrail's GR to Jackson Line

Unread post by tsinoms »

Now that I work down by 44th Street and Kalamazoo, I've wondered if anyone has any photos on the line from Grand Rapids to Jackson before everything got torn out. I also wondered if anyone had like any track maps or maybe a list of industries that were served on the line.
Thanks in advance.
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Conrail's GR to Jackson Line

Unread post by PatAzo »

Look at a couple websites. canadasouthern.com and multimodalways.org. They will have timetables and track charts that will include that line.

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

Short video of Middleville in 1956:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QeHw5Ipi1s

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

I remember seeing trains on that line in Hastings back in my youths. Blue engines :D . Sadly I didn't take pictures then either. There are still mile posts and whistle poles on the section between Middleville and Irving. I've encountered a handful of other artifacts on the line in a few other spots over the years as well.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

DelayInBlock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DelayInBlock »

I covered a brief history of the line in my JAIL video.

Delay In Block Productions: "Railroading a Little Different than Usual."

Visit my YouTube Channel and Subscribe: http://www.YouTube.com/user/DelayInBlock
Like My Page on Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/DelayInBlockProductions

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Drayton, that video is 17+ min long. At what point in your video does the brief history occur? That way we can cut to the chase and not have to watch video we don't have time to watch.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

DelayInBlock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DelayInBlock »

Fast forward to 4:25. My apologies, JT! :)
Delay In Block Productions: "Railroading a Little Different than Usual."

Visit my YouTube Channel and Subscribe: http://www.YouTube.com/user/DelayInBlock
Like My Page on Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/DelayInBlockProductions

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Unread post by tsinoms »

Mark F wrote:Short video of Middleville in 1956:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QeHw5Ipi1s
Wow. That's a great find mark thank you for sharing! I will have to look for more when I get a second.
Jetlink wrote:I remember seeing trains on that line in Hastings back in my youths. Blue engines :D . Sadly I didn't take pictures then either. There are still mile posts and whistle poles on the section between Middleville and Irving. I've encountered a handful of other artifacts on the line in a few other spots over the years as well.
Looks like I may need to talk to you randy.
DelayInBlock wrote:I covered a brief history of the line in my JAIL video.

Nice video in background info Drayton. Other than a station that there are there any other signs that the line connected in Jackson?
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

One or both of the Cantilever signals that used to be at 44th and Kzoo protecting the crossing went to the Coopersville and Marne. It's still there just sitting on the ground. Anybody explain to me why it went there?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

MQT1223 wrote:One or both of the Cantilever signals that used to be at 44th and Kzoo protecting the crossing went to the Coopersville and Marne. It's still there just sitting on the ground. Anybody explain to me why it went there?
The president of the C&M bought them when the tracks were removed.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

SD80MAC wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:One or both of the Cantilever signals that used to be at 44th and Kzoo protecting the crossing went to the Coopersville and Marne. It's still there just sitting on the ground. Anybody explain to me why it went there?
These aren't the ones in the SDG at Marne, are they?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

MQT3001 wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:
These aren't the ones in the SDG at Marne, are they?
Yup.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Why was the C&M interested in it? Doesn't seem to have a pertinent purpose on the road...?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Those are the pieces of a massive signal bridge that spanned the 5 lanes of 44th Street, just west of Kalamazoo. No cantilevers. Since the crossing was on a diagonal very close to the intersection, the east bound traffic signals were mounted on the signal bridge along with the RR flashers. All interconnected with the traffic signals. The track was gone to the east at the time and there was a beat up, rough rubber crossing there.

MI law says as long as the crossing is in place, the crossing protection must remain and all buses and hazmats must stop. In this case, the interconnected signal exempts them from stopping but most bus and hazmats will not take a chance and stop anyways.

The highway authority which was the Road Commission at the time was interested in pulling the crossing but was undecided on how to deal with the signal bridge. A RC employee who was a CM volunteer facilitated a deal where the C&M could have the signal bridge at no cost if they would remove it at no cost to the RC. Once the bridge and signals were removed, the RC pulled the rubber x-ing and paved the hole. The C&M then President felt it was worth paying for the rigging and transport if they should ever need a set of expensive overhead signals.

I remember the removal very well. It was done on a Saturday in November IIRC. Started out cloudy and cool about 8am, soon turned to semi solid rain all day until it was loaded on the trucks about 4pm. I wore a raincoat and a hardhat. My shirt for the most part stayed dry, the rest of my clothes were totally soaked, and I was COLD to the bone. What I haven't done for fun over the years. :lol:

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Raildudes dad wrote:Those are the pieces of a massive signal bridge that spanned the 5 lanes of 44th Street, just west of Kalamazoo. No cantilevers. Since the crossing was on a diagonal very close to the intersection, the east bound traffic signals were mounted on the signal bridge along with the RR flashers. All interconnected with the traffic signals. The track was gone to the east at the time and there was a beat up, rough rubber crossing there.

MI law says as long as the crossing is in place, the crossing protection must remain and all buses and hazmats must stop. In this case, the interconnected signal exempts them from stopping but most bus and hazmats will not take a chance and stop anyways.

The highway authority which was the Road Commission at the time was interested in pulling the crossing but was undecided on how to deal with the signal bridge. A RC employee who was a CM volunteer facilitated a deal where the C&M could have the signal bridge at no cost if they would remove it at no cost to the RC. Once the bridge and signals were removed, the RC pulled the rubber x-ing and paved the hole. The C&M then President felt it was worth paying for the rigging and transport if they should ever need a set of expensive overhead signals.

I remember the removal very well. It was done on a Saturday in November IIRC. Started out cloudy and cool about 8am, soon turned to semi solid rain all day until it was loaded on the trucks about 4pm. I wore a raincoat and a hardhat. My shirt for the most part stayed dry, the rest of my clothes were totally soaked, and I was COLD to the bone. What I haven't done for fun over the years. :lol:
Any photo's showing this setup? Only images I have seen of the 44th/Kzoo crossing were back when the crossing had flashers.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GR Ron
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GR Ron »

MQT1223 wrote:
Raildudes dad wrote: A RC employee who was a CM volunteer facilitated a deal where the C&M could have the signal bridge at no cost if they would remove it at no cost to the RC. :lol:
That RC guy keeps turning up here and there and everywhere!!!!!
GR Ron

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

In Eaton Rapids behind Dowding Industries plant #3 is a short section of track that used to run from the main line to the old box plant (now Dowding plant 2) in the woods was a switch stand and a derail at the end of the access road along the side of plant 3(former pickle plant) When Dowding built plant 4 they made improvements to the road and covered up the derail as far as I know it is still buried there. I worked there for a year and a half about 8 years ago and I never worked up the courage to ask if I could take out the derail for them. Then I quit and they buried it.. oh well.

If your not familiar with Eaton Rapids, Dowding is on Marilin St. behind the Family Fair Grocery Store.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

GR Ron wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
Raildudes dad wrote: A RC employee who was a CM volunteer facilitated a deal where the C&M could have the signal bridge at no cost if they would remove it at no cost to the RC. :lol:
That RC guy keeps turning up here and there and everywhere!!!!!
Never know where he's been, is now, or where he will show up next LOL :roll:

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Any photos of when the line was last in service or before it was lifted? Wasn't the line southeast of 44th/Kzoo last used in 83? Any modern photos of the line in use from the remaining portion northwest of Steelcase?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

MQT1223 wrote:Any photos of when the line was last in service or before it was lifted? Wasn't the line southeast of 44th/Kzoo last used in 83? Any modern photos of the line in use from the remaining portion northwest of Steelcase?
Nope, because it hasn't seen any use in "modern" times.