C&O, Last train across "High Bridge"..

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

C&O, Last train across "High Bridge"..

Unread post by Todd Cline »

I've asked this before, but once again... The old Pere Marquette line between Baldwin and Kaleva was lifted in 1955, but I'm trying to nail down the date of the last train to go over "high bridge". I have conflicting stories. Some say it was 1950, some say 1955. I realize that the 1947 merger of the M&NE allowed the re-route through Manistee, but the actual scrapping of High Bridge didn't occur until 1955. I have an old C&O timetable from 1952 that shows the route over high bridge, lists it as a senic overlook. My late mother told me of seeing trains on that bridge, probably early 1950's-or so. Anyway, I'd like to know when the LAST train went over "High Bridge".

Todd

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Re: C&O, Last train across "High Bridge"..

Unread post by James Sofonia »

"LAST TRAIN OVER HIGH BRIDGE" sound like the title of a good book!

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Or a spagetti western.

According to The History of the Kaleva Railroad Depot by Charles Showalter, Manistee, MI., "The last C&O passenger train crossed High Bridge on January 30, 1955, after passing through Kaleva."

http://kalevami.com/The_Kaleva_Depot.php Look for the link to Showalter's paper near the bottom of the page.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

I wonder if he's any relation to Buck.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd Cline »

Thanks, Standard. That sounds like a reliable source.

Todd

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Showalter's history seems to fit the "verbal history" I have learned over the years.

IIRC the freight traffic was moved off the high bridge shortly after the C&O consolidated the PM and M&NE operations. The passenger traffic continued to use the high bridge due to ICC constraints on changing the routing. Routing passenger trains through Manistee would have resulted in discontinuing service to some stations.