Grandville Interurban

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
J T
Hates Supper

Re: Grandville Interurban

Unread post by J T »

Still visible from the road.
Attachments
image.jpg
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:Still visible from the road.
Is their any evidence to suggest that the caboose is on the old GRH&C roadbed?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

If it's not, it's certainly within a few yards of it. Judging by the satellite image, it's pretty darn close.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:If it's not, it's certainly within a few yards of it. Judging by the satellite image, it's pretty darn close.
So can you trace via satellite where the roadbed is? I can't see it very well.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote:
J T wrote:If it's not, it's certainly within a few yards of it. Judging by the satellite image, it's pretty darn close.
Absolutely. It's pretty evident to me, but then again, I know where and what to look for. There is a small road on 66th St. just south of 145th called "Interurban Drive" that is part of the ROW. It's on an angle which continues over to where the caboose is on 64th. After the ROW crosses 64th (heading east), it continues on that same angle and crosses 143rd. After 143rd, it then hooks south and continues on the powerline ROW, which is VERY evident. Incidentally, the ROW that the caboose is on is part of the original alignment that existed from 1899 to 1913. After that, where it meets up with the powerline ROW near 143rd, it went due north until 1926.

I don't use google earth, but instead bingmaps.com You can rotate the map in four different directions, often getting a better look at things (the various directions are sometimes taken at different times of the year, exposing more or less based on how much foliage there is).

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
Absolutely. It's pretty evident to me, but then again, I know where and what to look for. There is a small road on 66th St. just south of 145th called "Interurban Drive" that is part of the ROW. It's on an angle which continues over to where the caboose is on 64th. After the ROW crosses 64th (heading east), it continues on that same angle and crosses 143rd. After 143rd, it then hooks south and continues on the powerline ROW, which is VERY evident. Incidentally, the ROW that the caboose is on is part of the original alignment that existed from 1899 to 1913. After that, where it meets up with the powerline ROW near 143rd, it went due north until 1926.

I don't use google earth, but instead bingmaps.com You can rotate the map in four different directions, often getting a better look at things (the various directions are sometimes taken at different times of the year, exposing more or less based on how much foliage there is).
Oh ok. That makes sense. Kind of like outside of Marne on Indiana Rail Road Drive that is built on the old MGR&I.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Well done! :D

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Standard Railfan wrote:

Thanks. :)

So, as we were walking the dog last night along Buck Creek just west of Wilson in Grandville, I started wondering, where did the interurban cross the creek? I'm curious as I'd like to see if there are any remnants of a trestle.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
Standard Railfan wrote:

Thanks. :)

So, as we were walking the dog last night along Buck Creek just west of Wilson in Grandville, I started wondering, where did the interurban cross the creek? I'm curious as I'd like to see if there are any remnants of a trestle.
That's a great question that I also would like the answer to. I am assuming that they didn't share the existing trestle with the PM... speaking of Buck Creek, doesn't that trail that follows the creek have something of a history with rails? I only ask that because the two mine cars just beyond the park with the giant boulders in them.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Where are the mine cars? I've ridden my bike on Buck Creek Trail a couple of times and now have walked the dog there and haven't noticed any mine cars. When you say "the park," do you mean Wedgwood Park?

Does anyone know if there is a map online of the interurban's route west through Grandville after it crossed 30th and Chicago Drive? I can pick up the ROW southwest of town, but I'm lost after 30th and Chicago Drive.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

J T wrote:Where are the mine cars? I've ridden my bike on Buck Creek Trail a couple of times and now have walked the dog there and haven't noticed any mine cars. When you say "the park," do you mean Wedgwood Park?

Does anyone know if there is a map online of the interurban's route west through Grandville after it crossed 30th and Chicago Drive? I can pick up the ROW southwest of town, but I'm lost after 30th and Chicago Drive.
I looked on Google Earth again. I believe there was something that fits the foot print of a pair mine cars west of Wedgewood park along Buck Creek Trail. The objects are gone in the more recent photos, but the gravel pads where they sat are still visible on the north side of the trail.

C&O6084
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O6084 »

Chicago Drive used to have a hellacious crown in it, thanks to the Interurban. When rebuilt in the 80's (?), they took the crown out and also found a few small pieces of interurban rail.

Somewhere abouts Fairlanes Avenue, it started veering South, and crossed Plaster Creek there. I don't know if freeway construction or Fairlanes covered it, I never looked. It then crossed Plaster Creek at the dogleg Kenowa takes to get around the interchange; no traces of that interurban bridge, the PM spur/interchange (for delivering coal to the Interurban power station) or the power station itself remain. Streetwork related to the Interurban there was obliterated by the now-empty strip mall.

ROW then went behind the apartments/condos on Port Sheldon; it takes some REAL skill to trce the route on Google earth through there, but it can be done. It crossed Port Sheldon at Waterview, and it's easier to pick up the trail from there on down to Jamestown. The stretch due West from there was covered by the widened Byron Road.

Grandville Historical has some Interurban stuff, like rail. Surprising how big the rail was. Not for strength, but for rigidity under pavement.

DOn't forget the upcoming presentation at the Wyoming Library.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

C&O6084 wrote:Chicago Drive used to have a hellacious crown in it, thanks to the Interurban. When rebuilt in the 80's (?), they took the crown out and also found a few small pieces of interurban rail.

Somewhere abouts Fairlanes Avenue, it started veering South, and crossed Plaster Creek there. I don't know if freeway construction or Fairlanes covered it, I never looked. It then crossed Plaster Creek at the dogleg Kenowa takes to get around the interchange; no traces of that interurban bridge, the PM spur/interchange (for delivering coal to the Interurban power station) or the power station itself remain. Streetwork related to the Interurban there was obliterated by the now-empty strip mall.

ROW then went behind the apartments/condos on Port Sheldon; it takes some REAL skill to trce the route on Google earth through there, but it can be done. It crossed Port Sheldon at Waterview, and it's easier to pick up the trail from there on down to Jamestown. The stretch due West from there was covered by the widened Byron Road.

Grandville Historical has some Interurban stuff, like rail. Surprising how big the rail was. Not for strength, but for rigidity under pavement.

DOn't forget the upcoming presentation at the Wyoming Library.
What do you mean by that Chicago drive had a "Crown" to it?

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

MQT1223 wrote:What do you mean by that Chicago drive had a "Crown" to it?
Roadways are typically built with the center of the roadway higher than the edges to facilitate drainage. The raised center is called the crown.

Where interurban or street car tracks were removed from the middle of streets, the resulting crown is often much taller than typical for a standard roadway. RDD can probably provide us with much more detail if desired. :D

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

J T wrote:Where are the mine cars? I've ridden my bike on Buck Creek Trail a couple of times and now have walked the dog there and haven't noticed any mine cars. When you say "the park," do you mean Wedgwood Park?

From what I gathered it ran right down Chicago drive until it got near Buck Creek (not Plaster Creek) and then went into Jenison just south of the PM mainline. I'm thinking it crossed the creek somewhere around where present day Chicago Dr crosses the creek now.

The mine cars used to sit along the trail near the west side of the Wedgewood Park. It's been a few years since I've been back in there so the City of Grandville may have moved them.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

How big are these mine cars and why would they still be there (or anywhere, for that matter)? In what mine were they used and how did they end up along Buck Creek?

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:How big are these mine cars and why would they still be there (or anywhere, for that matter)? In what mine were they used and how did they end up along Buck Creek?
They are almost perfectly square. 5 foot long by 4 foot wide my guess. They are yellow and very rusty. Huge holes in them in some spots due to rust.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Whomever is going to the presentation at the Wyoming Public Library on this on Thurs 10/23 - 6pm, I'll be there. Let's go learn about the interurban :)
Presentation at the Wyoming Public Library at 3350 Michael Ave SW on October 23 at 6:00 pm covering just this subject. Norm Krentel is the presenter. I've seen a version of this presentation before and it is very informative.

There is Facebook page on for this event under the title "Riding the Interurban Between Grand Rapids and Holland (1901-1932)". I found it in the Wyoming History room on FB originally.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

J T wrote:How big are these mine cars and why would they still be there (or anywhere, for that matter)? In what mine were they used and how did they end up along Buck Creek?
I was told by a deceased friend of mine that these carts where given to the City of Grandville by West MI Cold Storage on Judd St. Apparently they found them in one of the tunnels from the old gypsum mine. Someone at the City found out about these and the City went and picked them up and put them along the bike path.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

trnwatcher wrote:
I was told by a deceased friend of mine that these carts where given to the City of Grandville by West MI Cold Storage on Judd St. Apparently they found them in one of the tunnels from the old gypsum mine. Someone at the City found out about these and the City went and picked them up and put them along the bike path.
Well the city needs to do something about them now because they are ROUGH...