C&O track chart

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

C&O track chart

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Does anyone have a detailed track chart that would show the layout of trackage at the Muskegon depot before passenger service ended (say 40s-1971)? I'm specifically interested in the trackage from GTW dock track crossing to the station.

Thanks!

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Re: C&O track chart

Unread post by CAT345C »

I'll see if I can dig up my track charts...
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

There exists a wall size (roughly 6'x8') aerial photo, from 1969, of downtown Muskegon. I am not sure how far south west it shows but I know for sure that it shows the present day intersection of Shoreline Dr. and Western Ave at the freight house and GTW station. I will be at the location of this very high quality photo within the next week. I will see if I can photograph it and post it here. It is amazing to look at. The amount of tracks that have been removed downtown, in the parking lot of the Mart Dock, and winding around the buildings of Continental Engines. I will see what I can do.

Firemedic Mike
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Firemedic Mike »

Eric, is this chart in a place that the public can see it? That would be really cool to look at. I found something similar in St Joe- an old aerial photo of St. Joseph, showing the old rail lines and the harbor, the old road bridge, etc, in the city's fire station. Answered lots of my questions about where old docks and rail lines ran. Sadly it is not readily accessible to the general public.
I save lives. What do you do?

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

That would be great, I would love to see images of that photo! Especially the PRR dock area if goes that far southwest!

DLM
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DLM »

Ben,

Go to this site for lots of old Muskegon Harbor Charts. They show track details within a few blocks of shore. There is a nice 1945 chart. Use the "Preview" option.

http://historicalcharts.noaa.gov/historicals/search

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks DLM, I haven't checked out that site in a few years. Its a treasure trove for researching track layouts in lake shore cities!

The Muskegon maps show the depot area pretty well, but not quite down to the detail I'm looking for. It doesn't show where the connection or crossovers were that allowed PRR trains to get on/over the PM main line and into the depot tracks.