M&StL + CGW

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
railsetc
Railroadfan...fan

M&StL + CGW

Unread post by railsetc »

Hi everyone,

I am putting a scenario together in my head that merges the Minneapolis & St. Louis with Chicago Great Western in 1958. The trouble is that I don't think either railroad at the time would have been financially strong enough to purchase the other, and I think it's much more likely that Missouri Pacific could have purchased them both. Can anyone who knows these roads better than I do provide any justification for going with one of these scenarios?

1. M&StL + CGW
2. MP + M&StL + CGW
3. MP + 49% M&StL + 49% CGW

CNW is not being included because I know their history and purchase of CGW, and I don't think the ICC would have approved a merger involving the M&StL also.
Alan
Facebook page: Rails, Etc
YouTube: railsetc

Merger project blog coming soon!

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Re: M&StL + CGW

Unread post by SW »

railsetc wrote:CNW is not being included because I know their history and purchase of CGW, and I don't think the ICC would have approved a merger involving the M&StL also.
But didn't they (CNW) acquire M&StL in 1960 as well?
Owosso Steve

railsetc
Railroadfan...fan

Did they? I had thought M&StL was abandoned.
Alan

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

I was pretty sure they acquired it in 1960. Googled it, and one of the hits - Wikipedia - confirms they took them over in 1960 (Ben Heineman was at M&StL before he was at CNW, and engineered it). And yes, it appears later on most of it was abandoned.
Owosso Steve

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

This thread seems like it should go to the Paper Railroad board :D It's got the good makings to be a good Paper Railroad.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

railsetc
Railroadfan...fan

Actually, that should get me where I need to go. The paper railroad discussion will come when I reveal what this was for!
Alan