Why no bi levels on corridor trains?

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Why no bi levels on corridor trains?

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

This question came to me after a discussion with an amtrak conductor on Monday.
The jist of what he told me was the MI-Train wanted to use some of their cars to run extra trains this thanksgiving. That's about all he could tell me, but to go any distance on a commuter car can be un-bearable. But I was wondering why CNW style longer distance bi-levels were never considered? It would seem to increase capacity on the trains, by combining the commuter style "packing" with the seats of say an amfleet or horizon. It might even allow you to increase leg room. Any thoughts?
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: Why no bi levels on corridor trains?

Unread post by Ypsi »

I can see issues in getting larger seats on the upper level of a bi level, the seats/ isles aren't very wide, and the luggage space isn't really big enough for much more then a single brief case on metra or mdot cars.

Adding on, when I talked to semcog/ mdot at Howell thy said they were looking to run a special to a michigan game or something as well as run the cars on amtrak over thanksgiving weekend to free up amtrak cars. I believe that the guy I talked to said they would be used on one of the trains that doesn't run the entire distance of the route, like the Chicago- Kalamazoo train or Chicago- Ann Arbor train that have been ran in the past.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

Didn't Amtrak run some cars like that a long time ago?

Here is a picture of the cars they used: http://www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtBiLev/amt9616.jpg However i don't know what lines they were used on, besides originating out of Chicago and being used on corridor lines.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Those are the former CNW bi-level coaches that Amtrak used on the Valparaiso commuter trains throughout the 80's and I believe into the 90's. They differed from the standard bi-levels in that they were set up like regular coaches inside (like a Superliner or similar car) instead of a commuter car. These cars ran on CNW's longer distance trains in Wisconsin and Minnesota, IIRC.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

PerRock wrote:Didn't Amtrak run some cars like that a long time ago?

Here is a picture of the cars they used: http://www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtBiLev/amt9616.jpg However i don't know what lines they were used on, besides originating out of Chicago and being used on corridor lines.

peter
Those are the ones I am referring to. I'm not that familiar with the interior setup, but it seems like you could get seating in both the upper and lower levels to some extent.
They were used briefly or pinch hit on Michigan trains in the late 80's.
I was thinking it might be worth while to Do a modern incarnation. Maybe even lower the height so as to avoid clearance issues on the northeast corridor.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

I don't think you could lower the height much more then what they're at already. As they are there isn't much headroom on them.

peter
American Trainz Group

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

PerRock wrote:I don't think you could lower the height much more then what they're at already. As they are there isn't much headroom on them.

peter
I guess my point isn't that clear.
I'm talking about a modern re-incarnation of the CNW long distance bi levels.

As far as the height, I was thinking more along the lines of the modern bombardier commuter cars, such as those utilized by rail runner. Wouldn't be a true "bi-level" but would have both decks.
-Kurt Vonnegut

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I know, that if I were an Amtrak customer, having previously ridden a Superliner and Horizon, if I were to book a trip over Thanksgiving and find that I was in a bi-level commuter coach from Chicago to AA, I'd be pretty upset.

Stick to the cars designed to be used as corridor cars on corridor trains. Or better yet, Superliners!

Just wait another couple years, and we'll have our awesome new coaches and we can run more trains. Let's not put the passengers before the train.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

MQT3001 wrote:I know, that if I were an Amtrak customer, having previously ridden a Superliner and Horizon, if I were to book a trip over Thanksgiving and find that I was in a bi-level commuter coach from Chicago to AA, I'd be pretty upset.

Stick to the cars designed to be used as corridor cars on corridor trains. Or better yet, Superliners!

Just wait another couple years, and we'll have our awesome new coaches and we can run more trains. Let's not put the passengers before the train.
But the CNW cars were essentially Superliners in a commuter body, so it wouldn't be so bad. Metra cars really aren't that uncomfortable either....
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

We will have full bi-level cars running on the corridor trains out of Chicago in a few years. Nippon-Shayro is building them as we speak.

peter
American Trainz Group