Lost Railroad Town Kalkaska Area

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Lost Railroad Town Kalkaska Area

Unread post by James Sofonia »

I was very active with railroad stuff 20 years ago, getting back into things I have forgotten some of the places I found earlier. I recently visited the almost extinct town of "Sigma" on the M&NE River Branch Line. All I found was a small group of tired homes, many just seasonal occupancy. But I was looking for a town in this area that was completely gone, but marked by signs locating the original buildings. It was out in an open field on a still traceable grade. Any guess as to what I found back a while?

MichRails
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Lost Railroad Town Kalkaska Area

Unread post by MichRails »

It wasn't Goo was it?

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

I too remember seeing this place in the 1985-1994 time frame. I cannot recall where the place was or what the name was.

I will do some research and let you know if I come up with anything.

James Sofonia

Standard Railfan wrote:I too remember seeing this place in the 1985-1994 time frame. I cannot recall where the place was or what the name was.

I will do some research and let you know if I come up with anything.
That was probably when I was there last. Thanks.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

Could you possibly be thinking of Stratford in northeastern Missaukee County?

James Sofonia

AANscaleRunner wrote:Could you possibly be thinking of Stratford in northeastern Missaukee County?
You could be right. I remember following the PM grade from Rapid City down that way. Hmmnn.. I'll have to take another look there next time I'm burning time.

James Sofonia

AANscaleRunner wrote:Could you possibly be thinking of Stratford in northeastern Missaukee County?
I had some time to go down there and look around. It is indeed Stratford that I had once seen many years ago. The town signage is still in place and well maintained. I came in from Fletcher Rd. Kalkaska Co. that turns into 13 Mile rd. when you cross into Missaukee Co. Located about 1 mile South of the Co. line on the East side of the rd.

On the picture and reader board they mentioned the 6 trips a week from Stratford to the mills in Muskegeon. Fully loaded log train made the 210 mile journey in 4 1/2 hours. Wow, over 50 mph average. You'd never make that speed today on what is left of these rails.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Wow. I didn't know anything like this existed in this state. Thank you for sharing the photos.

The building markers kind of look like grave markers though... :shock:
~ Charles W.

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd Cline »

Yeah, even before reading the replies, I knew he was thinking of Stratford. I've read just about every book on Michigan ghost towns. ( Kind of fits in with old RR grades). Now, when the OP,"pixl" mentioned the old Manistee and North Eastern, and Sigma, and the old "River Branch"... That ignited the spark in my old exploration up north. I've been to Walton. The M&NE is very visable there, as it is near "Headquarters Lake", and on east. I have never been able to locate "River Branch Junction".. It was about 2-3 miles east of Kaleva. I've seen some possibilities on Google Earth images, but I still can't nail it down for sure. So the hunt continues..

Todd

James Sofonia

Interesting comments Todd. I've been to the spot where I thought was the River Branch JCT. but I think it was North of Kalava . It was quite some time ago, I'll have to retrace my steps. It was just an intersection of two or three dirt roads, not much of a raised grade in that area.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

Thanks for posting ! Would anyone have any pictures of the log trains ? So these trains went south through Baldwin ?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Notch 8 wrote:Thanks for posting !
Same here. I'm following along too. If I lived on the west side I'd join you in a heart beat!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Great photos. I will no doubt wonder that way in the near future. Thanks.

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

Todd the River Junction is on my hiking list for September 2014. Keep an eye on my Ghost Town thread on here and I will share all of the pictures. Does anyone know if there were buildings there.