LS&MS Monroe line

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

LS&MS Monroe line

Unread post by James Sofonia »

I just went to Ohio and back passing over where this grade crossing used to be on US-23 near Petersburg Mi. I'm new to this board and have been reading up on past postings, this fascinates me as I remember seeing this in the early 70's and thought is was strange to have a RR grade crossing on a four lane freeway. At the time I was stationed at Empire AFB near TC and often traveled to Cleveland to visit my parents. Never saw a train on it, but one night very late or early morning the lights were on and flashing, the traffic light had changed from it's perpetual green to red. What few cars that were out that late were coming to a full stop, then sneaking around the gates as there was no train to be seen.
Tim wrote:The Ida Branch crossing is one or two tenths of a mile south of the Ida West Rd OH bridge. It is easy to pick out southbound this time of the year as it is on a small fill. I've never been able to see it northbound.
I've always had a hard time picking it out until my recent trip. This year with all the leaves off the brush and light snow cover the grade stood right out easy to spot SB and NB.
Here are some shots off Google Earth of the spot.

Reference post from 2011
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20831&p=178687&hili ... ng#p178687