1977 Chessie plow derailment

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

1977 Chessie plow derailment

Unread post by AARR »

Posted by KC on 3/15/2014, 10:28 pm
C&O Russell plow SP21 and Chessie GP9 6021 derailed north of village of Bellaire in February of 1977. Another geep and caboose also in train remained on the rails. Ice packed grade crossing was believed to have caused derailment. Photo courtesy of Gary Greenman.
Edit: I think this is interesting not only because of the wreck but because there are not many pictures of the old PM/Chessie line between Traverse City and Charlevoix.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Re: 1977 Chessie plow derailment

Unread post by MIGN-Todd »

One of the railroad archives sites has another image from this area on the C&O but with a Jordan Spreader and a couple of later generation GP's. The spreader was cleaning the right of way of brush and derailed also. I can't remember how to post pics on here from my computers folders but I'm sure somebody knows the pic and could post it.
U.S.Army Retired- under new management (see wife)

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Re: 1977 Chessie plow derailment

Unread post by MIGN-Todd »

Speaking of this line (Petoskey Subdivision), you stated that not much info or pictures remain of this line and you Sir, are correct. I wrote the C&O Historical Society years ago requesting the info. They did said me a bunch of stuff but not enough to wet my whistle (pun intended) :D . I did get in pretty good with the guys up at Boardman Yard for about a year before the shutdown but, at that time I was still a little young to go hopping a train and head to Petoskey with them. A couple years later though I was back and forth throughout Traverse on the MIGN (depending on the crew). Ticks me off that it's all gone for the most part. The farther north one went on the old Chessie, the cooler it got.
U.S.Army Retired- under new management (see wife)