semaphores

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
erie2882
Railroadfan...fan

semaphores

Unread post by erie2882 »

does any body know about type 2a semaphores i have six but need to find out about one that has no paper work on them?

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Re: semaphores

Unread post by CSX_CO »

erie2882 wrote:does any body know about type 2a semaphores i have six but need to find out about one that has no paper work on them?
Huh?

Practice Safe CSX

erie2882
Railroadfan...fan

CSX_CO wrote:
erie2882 wrote:does any body know about type 2a semaphores i have six but need to find out about one that has no paper work on them?
Huh?

Practice Safe CSX
YOUR TO DUMB TO KNOW ANY THING ABOUT THEM ANT YA!!

MichRails
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MichRails »

Is this what you're looking for? http://www.semaphores.com/2Amanual.pdf

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

erie2882 wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:
Huh?

Practice Safe CSX
Yeah that's it. I've actually restored 3 of them to fully operating condition. I don't get what it is you're asking. You say you have six, but have one with no paper work? WHAT ARE YOU AXING OF US?!?!?

Practice Safe CSX

erie2882
Railroadfan...fan

erie2882 wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:
Huh?

Practice Safe CSX
sorry to csx co did mean that but new and thought somebody was fooling around!

erie2882
Railroadfan...fan

hey im just trying to find out more info on them but seems like im no good here now . and getting nowwhere

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Ok. You still haven't really narrowed down what you want to know? The .pdf posted is a good resource for most things A2 related. That's what I used to restore mine in so far as the wiring and circuit controller were concerned.

Practice Safe CSX

erie2882
Railroadfan...fan

first need to know when i split the case the "part " fell out" dont no what its called but looks like a x with upper on the back of it i think for a upper sem right?. but the blade that i got is a 45% lower quad dont no if you can use it for that. i think that its in right for that the case sit flush . there is a lot of slop for the shaft turning meaning it turns alot before it moves then get to yellow it stalls out for a bit the goes to green. so dont want to power it up till i make sure. made a new pin that always breaks in them i heard . i would like to know what rr used the dynamic indication thought just the east used them but the guy i got it from said it was from the south .

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

erie2882 wrote:first need to know when i split the case the "part " fell out" dont no what its called but looks like a x with upper on the back of it i think for a upper sem right?. but the blade that i got is a 45% lower quad dont no if you can use it for that. i think that its in right for that the case sit flush . there is a lot of slop for the shaft turning meaning it turns alot before it moves then get to yellow it stalls out for a bit the goes to green. so dont want to power it up till i make sure. made a new pin that always breaks in them i heard . i would like to know what rr used the dynamic indication thought just the east used them but the guy i got it from said it was from the south .
AFAIK, there is a small ratchet pawl in the case that will change it from 'upper quad' to 'lower quad' blades. If you were to post a photo of what you're describing, I could probably help you.

Practice Safe CSX

erie2882
Railroadfan...fan

no i no what your talking about but thats on the low volt one im talking about the 110 dc volt three position one and its uses the motor to turn the blade up down its not a gravity one maybe i should tell you that its a (i think semi-automatic dynamic indication) and never seen a pic of one either. i no that you can change the pin on the low v ones but this one i dont think you can. plus its the case with the springs in the case its a 110 dc top of mast . some one did tell that it could of been used for the reading rr as a lower quad or n+w for a train order. but the blade is wood its red and has a inverted circle not a fork.

astrovanman1989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by astrovanman1989 »

ive got 2 of those on a 20ft pole and ladder sittin in the weeds by my rr museum and there for sale
member of the
Soo Line historical society
DSS&A historical society
http://www.youtube.com/user/tricityrailfan

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

I'm looking for a semaphore, I have a B&O CPL for trade or sell for semaphore, Would consider any shape or condition. I can p/u and will travel...

erie2882
Railroadfan...fan

astrovanman1989 wrote:ive got 2 of those on a 20ft pole and ladder sittin in the weeds by my rr museum and there for sale
how much do you want i wood like the low volt ones have four of them and have a 30' pole that has one one for now. the other two going up soon . but having the semi-automatic one going to try to use it for a lower quad with train order . [youtube] semaphore [youtube] my dwarf has to get done to but still needs some parts not really sure it came from gcs. cast blade

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Hey Astro, shot you a PM on those semaphores, it'd be cool to have a set.

erie2882
Railroadfan...fan

hey just looking for anybody that has ever saw a picture or seen a 110 semi automatic upper 3 position dynamic indication 2a signal? . the case itself is larger for which the coil springs that help turn the motor for rotation up or down . i know it should be for a upper quad but because when i split the case to restore a part fell out the back of it read upper so i would think its a upper .the blade that was with it the farmer said it was the blade that came with it but its a lower quad 45% . I no that the reading used it for a lower and the N&Wused it for a train order. Do you think that i could use it with that blade? with that 2a. I do think that i could buy moving the blade to the down position then it would go up . With the motor removed you can wind up the gears all the way then let go and then it will return to the start position. there is lost motion around yellow then it starts moving again . I do have some paper work on it but i would like to find out if it could be used for a lower i do no how to make the low volt ones by moving the pin but not these thanks. any no how or where to look ? i have think i looked through all the handbooks but you never no. ?!. erie 2882

erie2882
Railroadfan...fan

well im back and no luck how do you or find out if a semaphore was a upper or lower with no tag ? . the blade red and made out of wood with a c cut on end ? dont no if it was the right blade( the farmer said it came with it ?).

erie2882
Railroadfan...fan

semaphores

hey everybody!!1 does any one live in buffalo ny that knows about semaphores (grs ones) ?

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

erie2882 wrote:well im back and no luck how do you or find out if a semaphore was a upper or lower with no tag ? . the blade red and made out of wood with a c cut on end ? dont no if it was the right blade( the farmer said it came with it ?).
I believe most of the mechanical internals were capable of doing both. You've said before you've seen the ratchet pawl in there that allows this. Blade type would dictate upper or lower.

Picture would probably be helpful...

Practice Safe CSX

erie2882
Railroadfan...fan

hey all just wondering whats the dif in the 2a semaphore cases, why that two of mine have the adjustments on the case on the outside and two have none? how would you adjust the blade just by timing that little adjustment?