Muskegon RR Line

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Muskegon RR Line

Unread post by EWRice »

While thumbing through some old maps, I found one of Muskegon listing GTW, C&O and Pen Central, but there is a fourth one that I had never heard of and a search online did not show anything. It lists a M.R.& N.RR. Runs on the original Michigan Shore line and ties into the Pen at Marsh School. Any ideas?

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Re: Muskegon RR Line

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Muskegon Railway & Navigation Company, incorporated May 22, 1918, under the general laws of Michigan to build a terminal transfer or belt railway around and through Muskegon and Muskegon Heights, with water-front terminal and trans-lake connections to Milwaukee. MR&N was acquired in 1929 by the Grand Trunk.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Mr. Tops wrote:Muskegon Railway & Navigation Company, incorporated May 22, 1918, under the general laws of Michigan to build a terminal transfer or belt railway around and through Muskegon and Muskegon Heights, with water-front terminal and trans-lake connections to Milwaukee. MR&N was acquired in 1929 by the Grand Trunk.
So would they have been the original builders of the Henry St yard?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

Thanks for the info. I knew somebody had the answer. The strange thing is that the map is not that old, maybe late '60's or 1970's.

I know I have a picture of the Henry street engine house under construction in the 1950's with a streamlined GTW 4-8-4? in the background. I don't know if it replaced an existing building or if that is where they moved GT's operation to. I thought I had read that they had another yard somewhere else in the Heights earlier on.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

Saturnalia wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:10 pm
Mr. Tops wrote:Muskegon Railway & Navigation Company, incorporated May 22, 1918, under the general laws of Michigan to build a terminal transfer or belt railway around and through Muskegon and Muskegon Heights, with water-front terminal and trans-lake connections to Milwaukee. MR&N was acquired in 1929 by the Grand Trunk.
Topographical maps from 1930 show a small Muskegon Railway & Navigation Company Henry St. yard.

To view a picture of the The Muskegon Railway & Navigation Company locomotive 0-6-0 #1 click on the link provided below.
https://rrmuseumpa.andornot.com/permalink/archives6502

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

GRHC wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:55 pm
Saturnalia wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:10 pm
Topographical maps from 1930 show a small Muskegon Railway & Navigation Company Henry St. yard.

To view a picture of the The Muskegon Railway & Navigation Company locomotive 0-6-0 #1 click on the link provided below.
https://rrmuseumpa.andornot.com/permalink/archives6502
Lol just under ten years to get an answer to this question! :lol:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

EWRice wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:13 pm
Thanks for the info. I knew somebody had the answer. The strange thing is that the map is not that old, maybe late '60's or 1970's.

I know I have a picture of the Henry street engine house under construction in the 1950's with a streamlined GTW 4-8-4? in the background. I don't know if it replaced an existing building or if that is where they moved GT's operation to. I thought I had read that they had another yard somewhere else in the Heights earlier on.
After looking at numerous photos both ground shots and aerials I do believe this is a photo of the GTW Henry Street engine house taken in 1955. This looks to be the original engine house.
3F5582B3-30E9-4DA1-8955-5621C74820BF.jpeg
Topographical maps from 1936 show a small MR&N yard near the Marsh school. It was sandwiched between and connected to both PM trackage and the PRR line from Grand Rapids to Muskegon.

For more information on the MR&N click on the links provided below.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... on_Company
https://www.labellemodels.com/manuals/M ... gation.pdf