Old GTW spur in Battle Creek

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Old GTW spur in Battle Creek

Unread post by bctrainfan »

While looking at the CN system map, I zoomed to the BC area and noticed it still shows a spur (long gone AFAIK) that splits from the main near Upton Ave running south and west along Dickman Rd then crosses Dickman near 24th and appears to end at the airport. I am curious about when this spur was in operation and what the customers might have been.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Old GTW spur in Battle Creek

Unread post by AARR »

I couldn't find it but there is an old thread about this spur IIRC. Seems like there was brick and lumber customer on it. I may be wrong but wasn't this old main line and there was a realignment when they combined some NYC and GTW tracks through downtown?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

When I was working down in the BC area a few years ago, I would drive on Dickman daily. I remember what looked like an old grade that ran parallel to Dickman between the roadway and the GT main.

I looked on Google Maps. You can see what looks like that grade coming off the GT main on the south side just west of Upton. If you follow the grade, you end up in the old 84 Lumber yard between Forest and S. 16th.

That fits what AARR came up with.

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

Thats not a spur, its the original mainline. The main was relocated to where it is now after they built the Airport and Military Base, if you start at Renton road and work east you can follow the other end of it to the airport

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

I dont think what I am talking about was part of the realignment of the main, it was a spur. Looking at a 1916 plat map, even before the airport, shows the abandoned "Old Grade" of the GTW somewhat east of the current line, from just west of Helmer more sharply south to around Renton, with the GTW main already in what appears the same position as it is today, and a seperate spur coming off the main around Upton and ending around 20th St. Some of the bed as previously noted is still visible as noted along Dickman, and it probably did serve what used to be 84 Lumber and Bosker Brick company. According to the CN map (http://cnebusiness.geomapguide.ca/ and zoom in on Battle Creek), though, the spur continued west and south ending at the airport, maybe serving the building that is now Byrd's Landing boat sales? So any more info is appreciated!

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd Cline »

I spent some time replying to this question about a half an hour ago, but for some reason it got toasted between the post button, and the rest of you all. I'll be glad to answer any Battle Creek RR history Q's, and for those that might be in the area, I'd be willing to give a guided tour as well. So, the offer is there... I just don't feel like spending another 45 minutes typing up an explaination of B.C. railroading if it's not going to make the post... I LOVE COMPUTERS!! Don't you??

Todd

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Todd Cline wrote:I spent some time replying to this question about a half an hour ago, but for some reason it got toasted between the post button, and the rest of you all. I'll be glad to answer any Battle Creek RR history Q's, and for those that might be in the area, I'd be willing to give a guided tour as well. So, the offer is there... I just don't feel like spending another 45 minutes typing up an explaination of B.C. railroading if it's not going to make the post... I LOVE COMPUTERS!! Don't you??

Todd
if you're going to type anything of length, do it in a word.doc and copy and paste to this site. If the site is idle long enough while you are typing, it apparently times out.

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd Cline »

OK BC trainfan, Most of your assumptions are correct. The "OLD MAIN" (Single track) , Did continue straight west from Upton Ave. At a point just east of 20th street the "Airport Spur" angled a bit southwest, crossing Dickman road at a point near 24th st. The Airport spur was put in around 1940, when Ft. Custer was gearing up for WW-II. The original "OLD MAIN". went straight west. Up till the mid 1970's, there were still three seperate tracks crossing 20th street. the one to the south being the airport spur, and about 50 feet north of that, the old main that still served an old warehouse on the west side of 20th. Of course, 500 or so feet north of that is the post-1912 current GTW main. You can still see the old roadbed passing on the north side of REESE CEMETERY. The current "Shetler Rd." just east of Helmer Rd. is on the old GT roadbed. If you look closely, you can see where the old line crossed Helmer. As you probably know, this line was relocated around 1912. It had NOTHING to do with the airport, as some have guessed, the airport didn't exist at that time. Looking west from the north edge of Reese Cemetery on Helmer rd. you can just barely make out what's left of the old roadbed curving to the southwest. This line relocation was done to gain a lesser westbound grade out of Battle Creek (The original grade westbound was close to 3.5 % !!) As I said, it had nothing to do with the non-existant airport .Let's finally put a stop to that erroneous "Information". If you go out to Renton Rd. by the golf course, stop at the GTW crossing and look northeast towards the curve. That is where the old line used to continue straight. In the winter you can still barely make it out. Also, at the corner of Columbia Ave. and Stone Jug Rd. there is a visable remnant of the old GT line in the marshy area in the southeast quadrant of that intersection area. I too, enjoy local history, and I hope I answered your question. Feel free to contact me, I have lots of info. on local RR history.

Todd

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Todd, thanks so much for the info! Funny that it still shows on the current CN sytem map. I am guessing that the "airport spur" might have served the building that is now Byrd's Landing boat sales. I always thought it looked like an old rail served loading dock along the north side of that building.