Railroad Pocket Watches

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
DonHarding
Manager of High Hood Locomotives

Railroad Pocket Watches

Unread post by DonHarding »

Hello all,

I am looking to purchase an old railroad pocket watch, like the kind my father had when he worked for Southern Railway. I am wondering though, what type of pocket watches were most commonly used on the Southern? I want one just like my Dad would have used. Any recommendations on what are the best to buy?

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Re: Railroad Pocket Watches

Unread post by CSX_CO »

If no one can answer that, older railroad timetables or employee rule books would specify which manufacturer they preferred, and locations where they could be serviced and/or repaired. Now-a-days, Timex is just as good as Rolex.

Practice Safe CSX

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

A little research of the people that he used to work with or former railroaders from the same area will give you a idea of what brand was popular with the employees. Then you can start your hunt on Ebay / Craigs list / local flea markets / etc. Good hunting.

rrboomer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rrboomer »

Would not hurt to arm yourself with a little knowledge before you hand over any cash for a watch. If you try a Google search along the lines of..."Railroad watch requirements"...

Stinger4me
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Stinger4me »

I am not sure where you are located. I do know an individual on the west side of Michigan who repairs Pocket Watches and has some for sale. Perhaps you can send me a private message. I had two watches during my time on the railroad, a Hamilton 992B and a Bulova Accutron Railway grade. Both of the watches are still functioning and see use.

Stinger

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

For what this may be worth, the 1951 Pennsylvania RR "Rules for Conducting Transportation" states the employees "...must use reliable watches."

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Many railroads did and still do have strict codes for timepieces. CSXT's 2010 Rule Book states:
CSX Transportation: Operating Rules & Signal Aspects and Indications [Jan 1, 2010] wrote: GR-103-A:
Designated Employees must compare standard clocks daily. They must be compared to the chief train dispatcher's office or the train dispatcher. A Standard clock that differs by more than 10 seconds must be reset to standard time. A Standard clock that does not function satisfactorily must be taken out of service. It must then be reported to the proper authority, and a replacement must be requested.

GR-103-B:
Unless assigned to offices having standard clocks, employees governed by the timetable, while on duty, must carry a watch that indicates hours, minutes and seconds. The watch must not lose nor gain more than one minute in a 12-hour period.....A watch that, when compared [to a standard clock], differs from standard time by more than 30 seconds must be reset to standard time
I know other railroads have even more strict time requirements. The Grand Rapids, Grand Haven & Muskegon Railway [Interurban, early 1900s] had watches checked by an official like once a month, and replaced if necessary.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote:Many railroads did and still do have strict codes for timepieces. CSXT's 2010 Rule Book states:
blah blah blah blah

I know other railroads have even more strict time requirements. The Grand Rapids, Grand Haven & Muskegon Railway [Interurban, early 1900s] had watches checked by an official like once a month, and replaced if necessary.
While important, having exactly correct watches has really fallen by the wayside. We're not running timetable rules anymore, where a watch being off by a minute or two was really a life or death situation. I haven't seen a "CSX Standard Clock" in probably 10 years (if ever), and I think they even de-activated the phone number where you could call and get "CSX Standard Time". Timex is as good as Rolex, especially since you can't have metal bands. It took us 6 months to get our video cameras to all display the same time on them, and now they're an hour off because of the time change.

Practice Safe CSX

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

CSX_CO wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:Many railroads did and still do have strict codes for timepieces. CSXT's 2010 Rule Book states:
blah blah blah blah

While important, having exactly correct watches has really fallen by the wayside. We're not running timetable rules anymore, where a watch being off by a minute or two was really a life or death situation. I haven't seen a "CSX Standard Clock" in probably 10 years (if ever), and I think they even de-activated the phone number where you could call and get "CSX Standard Time". Timex is as good as Rolex, especially since you can't have metal bands. It took us 6 months to get our video cameras to all display the same time on them, and now they're an hour off because of the time change.

Practice Safe CSX
And most electronic gadgets have good timekeeping (computers, phones, ect). I'm surprised those rules are still there if they've fallen by the wayside.

The GRGH&M Ry used timetable, with meets (often rolling) at short sidings. Not surprised they kept tight time.

Stinger4me
Railroadfan...fan

CSX_CO; Why the requirement "no metal watch bands on watches"? Is this for all employees or for those operating locomotives? Thanks for the information.

Stinger

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote: And most electronic gadgets have good timekeeping (computers, phones, ect). I'm surprised those rules are still there if they've fallen by the wayside.
Except we're not allowed to have computers, phones, etc on while in the operating compartment of the engine.

You still need to have a 'time keeping device' but I believe there is also a rule in there that says "When two time keeping devices time differ, you start your authority on the 'fastest running one, and clear it on the slowest running one.' I know the cloth band Timex I used would need a couple minute adjustment every 6 months. Usually just did it with the time change.
Stinger4me wrote:CSX_CO; Why the requirement "no metal watch bands on watches"? Is this for all employees or for those operating locomotives? Thanks for the information.
In theory, if you reach into the electrical cabinet of the locomotive, its believed that the metal band could make contact with the knife switch (or whatever other electrical component) and cause you to get shocked. I imagine some of it may also have to do with climbing on equipment, and how a metal band may 'snag' if you were to fall. With a plastic or cloth type band, it would probably rip or tear before it did damage to your arm.

Practice Safe CSX

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

CSX_CO wrote:
MQT3001 wrote: And most electronic gadgets have good timekeeping (computers, phones, ect). I'm surprised those rules are still there if they've fallen by the wayside.
Except we're not allowed to have computers, phones, etc on while in the operating compartment of the engine.

Practice Safe CSX
The Locomotive doesn't keep time? I'm sure the newer ones do at least.

Point taken however. I see that rule you're talking about. The book is a great resource.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Last locomotive I was on had its software set to Zulu time for error tracking. Most were like that to.avoid confusion on when an error occurred

Practice Safe CSX

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

CSX_CO wrote:Last locomotive I was on had its software set to Zulu time for error tracking. Most were like that to.avoid confusion on when an error occurred

Practice Safe CSX
Same time as used in aviation, but most folks think of it as Greenwich Mean Time.
Norm

TSB
peon

Unread post by TSB »

I didn't start on the Southern (Southern Serves the South) until May 15, 1970 (Southern Gives
a Green Light to Safety) but the long standing preference at that time was Ingersoll Pocket
Watches. (Southern Gives a Green Light to Innovation.)

Yahoo search "Ingersoll Railroad Watches."
5 years on college faculties
34 years working on railroads

RR is more fun

Gadfly
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Gadfly »

When I went clerking for Southern in the 70's just about the only pocket watch I ever saw was the Hamilton series,992, 992B, 950 and 950B. All the rest had been disapproved by that time. And I, too, used one, a 992 made in 1910. It still works. I first started with a Bulova Accutron, but it wasn't "accurate" and gave much trouble, threatening to get me in trouble with the Terminal Trainmaster. I found a Hamilton pocket watch, and since some of the fellows still carried them, I started using this one.

Every year (or was it 6 mo's--I forget) we had to take it to the watch inspector (Barnette's Jewelry) to get it cleaned and certified. Some Sears stores had jewelry shops and inspectors designated. You couldn't take the watch to just any jeweler.

So look on the internet to find the REAL railroad watch and the specifications that were required by the railroads. Personally, I wear one of the current Timexes with the railroad-style face that looks so much like the modern RR wristwatches. Seiko, Bulova, and a few others made railroad grade wristwatches and had "Railroad Approved" on the dial. I got a couple from NS as Safety Awards, and these had Norfolk Southern's logo on the dial as well. The accuracy of watches has improved so much over the last decade or so, there's really no need for "certified" watches.

Good luck in your quest.

GF

Stinger4me
Railroadfan...fan

Sometimes I am surprised by what I can recall or NOT. Our watches had to be inspected by the watch crew at Nick's Jewelry in St. Clair Shores, MI. I like the pocket watch thing, just like them. They work better when fishing as long as you go for full immersion while wearing waders. Watches have come a long way since the '60's. I might start looking for a silver or nickel silver pocket watch.

Gadfly
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Gadfly »

Stinger4me wrote:Sometimes I am surprised by what I can recall or NOT. Our watches had to be inspected by the watch crew at Nick's Jewelry in St. Clair Shores, MI. I like the pocket watch thing, just like them. They work better when fishing as long as you go for full immersion while wearing waders. Watches have come a long way since the '60's. I might start looking for a silver or nickel silver pocket watch.

Mine will go to my daughter along with an 1898 Seth Thomas Regulator clock---which also works. She's still too young (26) to realize any significance of my railroad service, but, perhaps, someday when I'm gone she'll come across that old watch and a photo of herself when she was about 4 years old, posing in the doorway of a Tamper. This was at a long-ago Safety & Family fishfry. She'll see the box of photos of NW 611 coming by my station, and look at that old watch and remember old Dad! I've had people beg me to sell the Hamilton, but no....ain't gonna happ'n. And when I get to remembering the old days, it's hard for me to believe it myself. At the height of my service, we still had the steam excursions, and I remember rushing up to the landing to hang orders and having Sou 4501 rushing past. Made ya think it was 1940 all over again. "Your train looks good on the north side, O---VAH!", I'd tell him on the radio. And he'd shout back with a toot-toot on the steam whistle, "Thankee, "preciate that, Extra forty five naught one north, OUT!"

Lotsa memories in that old watch!

GF

TSB
peon

1943 Hamilton 992B....

Unread post by TSB »

...on Ebay. Seller timeny. Expires 12/13/13 @ 9 AM PST.
5 years on college faculties
34 years working on railroads

RR is more fun