Steamers in Grand Rapids, MI

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
grrrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Steamers in Grand Rapids, MI

Unread post by grrrfan »

Can anyone tell me when they stopped using steam engines in the Yards in SW Grand Rapids, MI? I have fond memories of those engines trying to pull their heavy freight loads, loosing traction, all while I was falling asleep at night. I am writing my memoirs, and would like to include some data about that era. THANKS.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Steamers in Grand Rapids, MI

Unread post by AARR »

I have an engine assignment list for GTW from 1953 that shows they were assigning diesel switchers in Grand Rapids at that time even though they still had steam engine switchers on the roster.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Grand Trunk was too far north to be in SW Grand Rapids. Were the sounds coming from the Chicago Drive area (in which case they would be coming from C&O Wyoming Yd), or from the yards along 131 (NYC or Pennsylvani)?

grrrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by grrrfan »

Those wonderful sounds were coming from the Chicago Dr. area, I believe they would be C&O or PM. thanks

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

grrrfan wrote:Those wonderful sounds were coming from the Chicago Dr. area, I believe they would be C&O or PM. thanks
I can tell you that all Pere Marquette steam was retired, scrapped or sent south to the Chessie Division by the end of 1951. So PM/C&O steam in Michigan was done by then. Might've been PRR or NYC?
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

grrrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by grrrfan »

Thank you Conrail Jon, my time frame would have been in the mid to late 40's.