CR Monroe Industrial Line

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
TrainWatcher
The Beast

CR Monroe Industrial Line

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Hey guys, Im looking for some support information on the CR Monroe Industrial Line. From what I've heard length back out to the Detroit Line was 1 mile~. What business besides the Monroe power plant did they have? Also from what I've seen, there are 2 spurs one on the South side of the river and one on the North side (held Racks in storage for atleast a year). Was there any business on the Northern Spur?
Last edited by TrainWatcher on Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Re: CR Monroe Industrial Line

Here's what I have found out. The southern Spur begins at the NS Detroit Line, runs East. There would have been a Diamond at 1st Street across the old DT&SL. This would have been between Almyra Ave and Eastchester Street. It contines to run south along Front Street until it meets the newer CN Connection to the Monroe Power facility. The Monroe Power Facility has roughly 3 tracks that run in a "balloon" type format around the facility to the rotary dumper facility and then the empties connect back to the spur via a running track off the West side of the facility. The CN connection aslo has an old spur running off of it around 100~ yards from the old CR connection and goes into a facility, but seems to be OOS.

North side runs to what now is a Automotive Components LLC facility, formerly a Visteon Plant. They were recieving 86' cars as of the Google maps 2009 Satellite view. In 2010, the spur held a cut of 40 or so racks.

There was a spur with the points facing southeast for a builing now called National Galvonizing, located at Ternes Dr and Detroit Ave. The line connects back to the Conrail right at the Dixie Hwy bridge. Also an interesting note is that there seems to show a connection between the old DT&SL also with the northern spur. Unsure what there was being switched between both the GTW and CR on this line.

CR 6268 @ DT&SL Diamond at 1st Street (John Uckley Photo, Posted on RailOhio's Flicker Account)

DT&SL 48 @ 1st Street Diamond (John Uckley Photo, Posted on RailOhio's Flicker Account)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Auto Components is the former Ford bumper plant that for years was the sole reason CR stationed a local and caboose in Monroe.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Did the local just run right back onto the Detroit Line and head North? Because from what I see in more of John Uckley's photos is the street running. Captions say it connected back to the Old Road at Lenawee Junction. You can see on the current ABDF where the spur broke off and headed north. Also photos show other freight such as smaller 60' and 50' even boxcars and in this case a PRR QuadHopper.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Obviously at one time there was far more biz than the bumper plant but I'm not familiar with that time period.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...