Kinney Spur and Penn Junction

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Kinney Spur and Penn Junction

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Raildudes dad wrote: Kinney Spur & Penn Junction

Last week Joel posted a picture showing a tower at the GR&I bridge over the GTW east of what was called Penn Junction in recent years. That was the first time I’ve heard or seen evidence of a tower at that location. I have copies of the GT Val maps for that area and I never noticed a notation for a tower. I looked again and there is no notation for a tower.
I was looking at a 1950's PRR timetable last night and I may have an explaination for why the GTW did not document the tower at Penn Jct.. The timetable listed Penn Jct. as contiuously operated block-limit staton. Perhaps GTW didn't note the tower because the "tower" was a PRR owned and operated station and not considered a tower.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Re: Kinney Spur and Penn Junction

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Well, I pulled out my copy of the val map a few minutes ago, got the magnifying glass out and very faint I can read a station plus "Int Tower" in the ne quadrant of the GT line. They did a good job of updating their maps including the removals.