Wurtsmith AFB

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
rustbeltrailroad
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Wurtsmith AFB

Unread post by rustbeltrailroad »

AARR wrote:Someone contacted me off line and said that the jet fuel may have been loaded in Bay City and shuttled by D&M to Wurtsmith.

Maybe it arrived by ship to one of the storage tank terminals on D&M's shoreline spur :? .
I have also heard this before somewhere years ago. The tracks in the area that would be the loading area just west/north of the yard don't look too old. That is a very secluded area which may explain the mystery.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

AARR wrote:The jet fuel tank cars may have been traveling between the refinery in Alma and Wurtsmith. On at least one occasion they were trucking the jet fuel but eventually it went back to D&M.
rustbeltrailroad wrote:I think, again I think, many of the tanks in this service were loaded in Bay City on the D&M by where DOW is and all the relics of that area. And they just went back and fourth to Wurtsmith AFB / Bay City.
I don't believe that the Total / Leonard refinery in Alma could manufacture Jet Fuel. If the Alma refinery could make Jet A / JP-4 I doubt that they could make enough to meet Wurtsmith's needs.

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

Standard Railfan wrote:I don't believe that the Total / Leonard refinery in Alma could manufacture Jet Fuel. If the Alma refinery could make Jet A / JP-4 I doubt that they could make enough to meet Wurtsmith's needs.
I recall reading somewhere that the Crystal Flash(?) refinery along the GTW in Carson City produced jet fuel. But it was a pretty small refinery.
-Fritz Milhaupt

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I found, and copied, all the products Total Refinery in Alma made. Jet fuel is on it. However, I cannot confirm the accuracy of the material. Also, as SRF pointed out it was a small percentage of what they refined. I'll repost it here later.
Standard Railfan wrote:I don't believe that the Total / Leonard refinery in Alma could manufacture Jet Fuel. If the Alma refinery could make Jet A / JP-4 I doubt that they could make enough to meet Wurtsmith's needs.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Jet fuel is just clear diesel for the most part. Total/Leonard should have/would have no problem making it. Just depends on where you open the valve on the cracking tower. Asphalt comes out the bottom and it keeps getting better the farther up the tower you go. Not quite that simple but that's the gist of it. We got a lot of asphalt tanks out of there and we also got Aviation Gasoline that went to a base/airport in Utah when I was on 337/336.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I was mistaken. The chart is not about Total specifically but by refineries in general.

The specific Total in Alma information I have is regarding its production capacity. It processed 2.31 million gallons of oil per day into 2.475 million gallons of product.

What Does One Barrel Of Crude Oil Make? One barrel of crude oil contains 42 gallons which creates 45 gallons of petroleum products
Product Share of Total U.S. Petroleum Consumption
Gasoline 47%
Heating Oil/Diesel Fuel 20%
Jet Fuel (Kerosene) 8%
Propane/Propylene 6%
Natural Gas Liquids and Liquid Refinery Gases 6%
Still Gas 4%
Petrochemical Feedstock 2%
Petroleum Coke 2%
Residual/Heavy Fuel Oil 2%
Asphalt and Road Oil 2%
Lubricants 1%
Miscellaneous Products 0.4%
Other Liquids 0.4%
Aviation Gasoline 0.1%
Special Naphtha 0.04%
Waxes 0.04%
Kerosene 0.02%
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Speaking of Leonard gasoline, how many remember Leonard gasoline sponsored Mort Neff and Michigan Outdoors?
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".