Info On PM in Bellaire Michigan?

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Info On PM in Bellaire Michigan?

Unread post by bnsfben »

I have a cottage on Intermediate Lake in about 5 miles north of Bellaire. The old Pere Marquette tracks acctually run through our property! I did some research and apperentally the tracks were torn up in 1994. But I don't know when it was abandoned.

If anyone has any photos of trains on the old PM, please post it. Also please post any info you have on the trains (power, train length, cargo etc.)

Question for any 1225 people. Could 1225 run by my cottage? I know it is a PM line, but I was not sure if they just used it on a certain line.

Thanks

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Info On PM in Bellaire Michigan?

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Ben, the Berkshires were pretty much restricted to Chicago-Grand Rapids-Detroit and Toledo-Detroit-Saginaw service, Saginaw being as far north as they were allowed in the PM days. I have heard it was possible that after the C&O merger a Berk might've made the run from Saginaw to Ludington once or twice. I see Bellaire is northeast of Traverse City. The biggest power the PM would've sent up there were probably 2-8-2's in the steam days, since that was part of the TC-Petoskey line and couldn't handle the weight of the Berks. I know for a fact the E7A's made it up there on passenger trains in and out of Petoskey, however.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MIGN-Todd »

I'd love to help you with the info and pictures you're looking for but, am not presently in Michigan where my stuff is at. I do have some photos on my laptop of the PM E-units at Alden and I think Bellaire too. Send me your email address in my messages on here and I'll attach them and send them along if you want.
U.S.Army Retired- under new management (see wife)

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Oh,I almost forgot, abandoned in 1982 I believe (Williamsburg to Petoskey).

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

Alright thanks.

PM comin at you!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Primary reason the line stayed in until 1982 was the cement plant west of Petoskey. When that closed the line came up shortly after with MIGN taking over the couple of customers left from their junction at Bay Shore(?)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Those pictures work out ok for ya Ben?

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

Yes those are nice pictures!

Thanks!