Elkhart Branch (Michigan Air Line)

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
conrail767596
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Elkhart Branch (Michigan Air Line)

Unread post by conrail767596 »

The 60 mph on the Kalamazoo Branch is a remnant of the PC days, when the entire line was 60 to Jackson. It was indeed the only 60 on the Dearborn Division, until 1995 when 70/60 was lowered to 60/50 systemwide. Yes, we would go 60 also. Could do it for a few minutes on the stretch between south of Three Rivers and Constantine with a short enough. And definitely south of White Pigeon- 60 mph over US-131 was common.

conrail7695
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrail7695 »

HELLO ALL..Trying to get my bearing..at 27.4 theres a switch for the kalamazoo branch and the Mendon sec to merge on the south side of Three rivers cp"river"..and that curves to the right going to Wepsi and Mendon and some were after that about a mile or so is a switch for the airline connection track back dew west the the diamond at cp"fourth st." and then the yard and then end of track at Broadway st. my question is what are these airline extentions mile posts at west end of the yard, the diamond crossing at fourth street, and the switch on the Mendon sec. to go east to Jackson.

I am building the Kalamazoo branch from about 1980-1984 in HO scale in three levels in my basement. Would like to have a detailed air line extention on my layout for switching pusposes in and out of the yard in Three rivers to switch G.M. and to have my switcher 7695 station there. just looking for milepost and numbers or a hand or zts map drawing of this extention. THANKS TO WHO CAN HELP ME..MIKE
THANKS M. SHIREY

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

What you refer to as the extension was called the 'Old Air Line Industrial Track' by Conrail. By the 80s I have to guess the original track from near Fourth St east to the new connection (Junction Switch) was long gone. Mileposts on the industrial track most likely were still based on the original mileages, which you can find here: http://michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/Timet ... ineDiv.htm
The milepost for 'Three Rivers' must be the crossing at Fourth St, as there is no separate listing for the crossing.

There were originally yard tracks both east and west of the diamond at Fourth St. Northbound trains would set out on the tracks west of the diamond, southbounds would pick up from the tracks on the east side. There was a little trailer office just east of the diamond in the 90s that I figured was used by the local crew, but I'm not sure on that.

About 8 years ago there were one or two old open sided auto racks parked on the GM property behind the fence (plant hadn't seen rail service in a while). Maybe they were used for intraplant switching? No idea why else they would be there. Also have a picture somewhere with a covered hopper in the background thats on the plant tracks, which leads me to think they may have received plastic pellets there.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

Anyone know of a derailment/crash near Wasepi MI on the Airline in 1948 ? Anyone have any pics of Waspei ? Nothing like bumping an Old Thread !

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Notch 8 wrote:Anyone know of a derailment/crash near Wasepi MI on the Airline in 1948 ? Anyone have any pics of Waspei ? Nothing like bumping an Old Thread !
PRRT&HS has a two month long article about PRR F Units a couple years ago....and one of the sets of pics is of the F units at Wesepi that speared a NYC freight...also had an article by Jack Smith that mentioned how a nice warm set of F units would let you fall asleep and this is what happened. The ICC report website also has a report on the same derailment.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Not the one but this one is interesting. http://dotlibrary.specialcollection.net ... lect+3348) Boyne Falls, Michigan head on.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

This will give you something to do. Its not in the 48, 49 or 50 archives. http://dotlibrary.specialcollection.net/Contents
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

Doktor No wrote:Here is one at Nottowa in 1951. http://dotlibrary.specialcollection.net ... lect+3409)
Thank you Sir ! The Internet is an awesome tool !!

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

A gentleman called me last night about a story of a steam engine supposedly submerged on the Three Rivers to Niles MC line? I too have heard this story. It is suppose to be west of Jones Michigan around where the Newburgh station was. Now with crews trimming the old ROW where the power lines run you can really see this line. Has anybody else ever heard of this? I've researched this on google but to no avail. Patterson Hill road had a high embankments with water on one side and thats where an old gentleman told me he thought it was.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

I doubt it. Engines were too valuable to let that happen. There was always a story about the Palm Sunday 1965 tornado that picked up cars off a train on the Old Road along BawBeese lake near Hillsdale. Never had that one confirmed though.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.