Conrail Yards Question

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Conrail Yards Question

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Is there anything at Mosel Yard in Kalamazoo. I read an earlier post from GP30M4216 who said Mosel Yard is nothing but a siding and track grown with weeds. And, trains used to use it 30 years ago.

What about South Yard, anything there? I havent seen any posts about these yards.

And Rumley yard in west Battle Creek. Did NS or Conrail have any operations there?

I know these yards were in use during NYC ownership.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I don't remember if I posted anything or not, but your post about Mosel is correct. The remains of a running track and another siding exist at the Mosel Avenue crossing, but I believe the running track has a broken rail, so it's out of service even if the switch is still in place off the main track. This is clearly visible from the Mosel Ave. crossing.

South Yard has a siding in place with a crossover attached, although I've heard rumors that the switches are locked in place, but I don't know if that's true. It's sort of visible to the east of Burdick Street south of Stockbridge. A short walk might provide more details.

North Yard still has some sidings in place to stage the cars being delivered three times a week to Graphic Packaging north of BO Tower. The status of the north end of the yard is something I don't know. Google aerial maps might be your best bet there.

Botsford Yard is the primary yard serving Kalamazoo of NYC heritage. I'm sure you know that already. It's home to 5 daily local jobs, plus dailys setouts and pickups by manifests 38J and 39J, respectively.

Hope this helps!

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

skrail
Railroadfan...fan

south yard

Unread post by skrail »

south yard is gone
rails torn up ties i think are gone too
all gone another bright idea
Scott-NS Imagineer