Grandville Interurban

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Grandville Interurban

Unread post by Saturnalia »

It isn't at all uncommon to find rail in streets...I'm sure there are a bunch in Godfrey alone...seeing as though they just keep adding pavement! That street needs a gut job!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
C&O6084 wrote:Which explains the "makes sense" comment.
But didn't explain that any evidence would have been removed when 28th went from 2 lanes to 5 in the late 50's.

:wink:
No rail was ever in 28th street except where the intersection with Ivanrest now sits if I remember correctly. That whole setup was just torn down to dirt last year, there was nothing under the road.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Godfrey is one of the worst streets in the city that sees a lot of traffic. I sometimes think they keep it that way on purpose to help reduce speeds. It's pretty funny to see older cars with poor suspensions hauling arse down that street. :D
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:Godfrey is one of the worst streets in the city that sees a lot of traffic. I sometimes think they keep it that way on purpose to help reduce speeds. It's pretty funny to see older cars with poor suspensions hauling arse down that street. :D
It probably helps. Pot holes and bad man holes work wonders on cars if you hit them hard enough. Us Michiganders know this quite well. :mrgreen:
MQT3001 wrote:It isn't at all uncommon to find rail in streets...I'm sure there are a bunch in Godfrey alone...seeing as though they just keep adding pavement! That street needs a gut job!
Did the interurban even go down Godfrey? I don't think it did. Maybe you could give the city some money to redo Godfrey. My car's shocks are shot and I'm not complaining when I go down Godfrey. Terrible on my car, but it's a lot of fun to go down a road like Godfrey. Century Ave is the same way when your going north from Burton.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote:
J T wrote:Godfrey is one of the worst streets in the city that sees a lot of traffic. I sometimes think they keep it that way on purpose to help reduce speeds. It's pretty funny to see older cars with poor suspensions hauling arse down that street. :D
It probably helps. Pot holes and bad man holes work wonders on cars if you hit them hard enough.
The potholes are the least of the issues. It's the crazy undulations that wreak most of the havoc on vehicles.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
It probably helps. Pot holes and bad man holes work wonders on cars if you hit them hard enough.
The potholes are the least of the issues. It's the crazy undulations that wreak most of the havoc on vehicles.
Back to the original point. Did any interurban even go down Godfrey? Maybe the Grand Rapids Street Railway? Closest rail line with interurban ties is the ex. NYC, now Oxford Street Trail that parallels Godfrey.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

The IU did to run down Godfrey, it crossed it...right at the creek. Bridge abutments are still there and clearly visible from Godfrey

There are also likely rails under there from the PM, too, up near the current crossing
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:The IU did to run down Godfrey, it crossed it...right at the creek. Bridge abutments are still there and clearly visible from Godfrey

There are also likely rails under there from the PM, too, up near the current crossing
But no rails right down the middle of the street?

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT3001 wrote:The IU did to run down Godfrey, it crossed it...right at the creek. Bridge abutments are still there and clearly visible from Godfrey

Not interurban rails, but in the same vicinity and equally interesting (to me, at least), if you head south on Clyde Park from Grandville Ave, take a drive through the parking lot (on your right) across from London St. and you'll see a bunch of rails from whatever spur used to go through there.
Attachments
clydepark.jpg

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:

Not interurban rails, but in the same vicinity and equally interesting (to me, at least), if you head south on Clyde Park from Grandville Ave, take a drive through the parking lot (on your right) across from London St. and you'll see a bunch of rails from whatever spur used to go through there.
Yeah I saw those before. Isn't that ex. Penn Central tracks?

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

J T wrote:Not interurban rails, but in the same vicinity and equally interesting (to me, at least), if you head south on Clyde Park from Grandville Ave, take a drive through the parking lot (on your right) across from London St. and you'll see a bunch of rails from whatever spur used to go through there.
Former PRR Plaster Mill Track and sidings, spurs, etc. for the industry located there.

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

I've often wondered how the Pennsy handled switching up along Godfrey, especially north of Hall Street, where its tracks intertwined with the PM.

Based on the old Sanborn maps, I put together this map of the area as a preliminary aid in designing a switching layout:

http://www.fritzmilhaupt.com/bbgraphics ... apjfm1.pdf
-Fritz Milhaupt

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

What a wonderful map. I have been trying to figure out the track layout in that area for some time. The area is ideal for a great shelf railroad. Thank you very much Fritz. :D

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Wow, impressive map! Thanks, Fritz. :D

C&O6084
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O6084 »

Most recent PM TRACKS has Fritz's article about the Lumber Spur. Best researched article I've seen in PMT in a long time.