C&O mileposts to Traverse City....

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Re: C&O mileposts to Traverse City....

Unread post by Todd Cline »

Ok Steve, glad we are on the same page now. There are photos of High Bridge being dismantled in 1955. I am assuming that the traffic was re-routed via Manistee some time prior to then. I had never heard of damage to the bridge, but hey, I don't have all the facts either. I do know that the bridge dated from the late 1800's-early 1900's, and had been reinforced in the 1930's to handle the heavier loads. It was a spindly looking structure, the maintainance on it was probably the reason that the C&O decided to abandon the route and go via Manistee. But my original question still is, were the mileposts redone after the re-route. Looking forward to any new info. you can find.

Todd

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

Todd the book at the club wasn't alot of help. Basically it restates the bridge was taken out of service in 1948 (after the C&O take over of the PM). Was torn down in 1955. I did talk to two of the guys at the club and them mentioned that the C&O took the bridge out of service after a flood in 1946 or 1947 that weakened the structure. Seeing there was virutally no industry on the line between Baldwin and Kaleva, trains where rerouted via Wahalla, Manistee and then over the MNE, which by this time has been totally absorbed by the C&O, to Kaleva where the MNE orignally crossed the original PM line. The decision was made to not replace the bridge and all trains, where then permanately rerouted over the MNE. Because this consituted a major realingment of the trackage from GR to TC, mileposts where recalulated to reflect the new milage. Neither of the guys I spoke to every heard of what the exact difference was but guessed it to be somewhere in the range of 30-35 miles. Your original mileage difference comes close. You might want to contact someone at the PM Historical Society as they may be able to point you to a map or other document that has the original milepost mileage from GR to TC.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

trnwatcher wrote:PM Historical Society as they may be able to point you to a map or other document that has the original milepost mileage from GR to TC.
http://www.pmhistsoc.org/archiveholdings.shtml

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Ok guys, thanks for the input. This certainly gives me something to look into. My late mother used to recall camping
trips up that way in the 1950's, remembered the bridge being there, but I guess she never actually told me of seeing a train crossing it... when My father and I explored the site in 1978, I remember seeing the old pilings for the bridge, and thinking that they were pretty flimsey. Wooden piles driven into the mud of the river basin, capped with cement, with big bolts sticking up where the steel uprights were fastened. If anyone here knows for sure, I'd really like to know when the last train crossed High Bridge..

Thanks,

Todd

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

I checked all those links, nothing covering the abandonment of Baldwin-Kaleva. I don't understand why this hasn't been more detailed in history. It was a big deal. High Bridge was a real landmark, and part of a pioneer railroad route. Does nobody here really know about the Baldwin-Kaleva C&O segment? I don't wan't to sound like I am ragging on you guys, hey, if you don't know, you don't know. I just find it hard to believe that out of all the folks on this board that nobody knows what I am talking about. O.K. looking at what I just wrote, I seem to be looking like the ass, No harm meant, just trying to stir up those that might know the story but have been holding out.

Todd

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

Todd Cline wrote:just trying to stir up those that might know the story but have been holding out.
SHAKE THOSE BUSHES!!!!

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

If you want to see what the High Bridge looked like, check out the trestle on the Wadhams - Avoca Trail. It appears to be very similar if not identical to the High Bridge. Very intersting to look at from underneath 8)

http://www.traillink.com/viewtrail.aspx?AcctID=6015087

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Digging up an a REALLY OLD thread here.... A couple weeks ago I went to Baldwin for the Blessing of the Bikes. Anyway, on a side trip to Dublin for the famous jerky at the Dublin General Store, I noticed that a good portion of the old C&O / P.M. right of way is surprisingly very accessable to motor traffic in that area. Side note: the depot in Irons is still there, although looking pretty rough. It seems like it might be possible to bike/snowmobile/hike/dirtbike the old C&O grade north from Baldwin as far as High Bridge. Of course you would need to "portage" around the bridge site to continue north from there.., North of Kaleva however, I can tell you for certain, some, if not all of the bridges over the creeks have been cut out. For the record, the milepost at "Healy Lake Campground", just north of Bear Lake Rd. was "GR 136" ( between bear lake and Plagany rd. ) Not sure if that was recalculated after 1955 reroute or not.. I'm thinking not, it was cast into the concrete. Not just painted over.
AND.. I apologise for the previous comments on this thread going all the way back to the origin. ( didn't even realize what an A-hole I was back then ). I was a different person at that time. Beer can be a good thing, and it can be a bad thing.... Not so good if you are sitting at the computer with a bad attitude to begin with. Better if you are hanging out with friends.

Next time I'm up north I gotta' stop in Bretheran and see the HO scale model of "High Bridge". I wonder if they would sell it?? Naaaah.... It belongs up there...

Todd

zintac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by zintac »

If you take the map posted on the 1st page and use google earth line function.

From Baldwin to Kaleva is about 36 Miles. ( following the Old Row)
Taking the Mile Post at Baldwin of 73 1/2 Miles
The route comes out to 109 from GR

Then take the Kaleva 132 from the Map on the first page, minus that from the 109 From Google.

We come up with a 23 mile difference.

Traverses City is at Mile Post 169
169 - 23 = 146

After searching more i can 100% confirm the Millage from GR to TC is 148.55 ( from the 1901 Annual PM Report)
The line in question was part of the Petoskey Division

So yes it does look as though the line was re calculated at some point after High Bridge was closed and the line was removed between 1945 and 1955
Hope this helps!

Zin
Long Live the C&O