Mike Tabone Update Status

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Mike Tabone Update Status

Unread post by CAT345C »

Hello all, thankyou very much for your kind thoughts and prayeres. Today is day 12 of m hospital stay.

Heres the story of what happened on Jan. 1st 2008 it maybe graphic:

We received 10.5 inches of wet and powedery snow during the early morning, and I was on my way to work at 12:30. I left my house at Noon even though I work 10 mins away at the local kroger. I turned onto 10 Mile Road and got half way up the big hill, when a car going east spun out, and was now facing west when they stopped. I pulled into the ditch to see if they were okay, at this time I am facing west, and my truck is facing west. There was no way I was going to get them up the hill so I tried to get them from the back, so I turned my truck around so it was facing East on the East Boung Lane. I hooked up the proper chains, and had the driver shift into Neutral, I checked the passenger sided chain on my truck, and I heard the girl that I was helping scream, then a car horn, and the next thing I knew, I was in a snow bank, in the fetal position screaming "OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD NO NO NO" I could still feel everything on my body. The driver of the car is a co-worker of mine, and they were trying to talk to the 911 dispatcher while talking to me, from what I gathered they were traveling 45 mph and lost control on the same black ice as the car that I was helping. My truck was pushed about 200 feet away from where I was. Had there been no snow I most likely would have died in the accident. I busted the head light on the car that hit me, took out the hood, fender, bumper, it seems like I was on the ground for an hour, but the great people at the Lyon Twp. Fire Department, and Huron Valley Ambulence Service got me out of the snow, and to the Emergency room as quick as they could. I am at the University of Michigan hospital in Ann Arbor, I spent 11 days in ICU, and could see Amtrak, and NS perfectly from my room. Last night I was placed on the 5th floor and downgraded to "normal status" but now, I cannot see Amtrak, but I can see the Ann Arbor RR along the norhside of the Huron River. I am in phsyical therapy, and cannot walk at all, my left leg, was tore up, and almost amputated, they had to replace a lot of the viens and arteries in it, and take some from my right. They had to open my chest and stomach to stop the bleeding, so I have to big stapled wombs that are healing well, and two on each side of my groin since they had to relieve the swelling. Today is my first day on an all food diet, and my first day off of morphan. It is going pretty good.

Thankyou all for caring so much.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

Hope you get better Mike, sounds like your beat up pretty good. Your co-worker come up to see you?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Dang Mike :shock: , you're one tough guy to make it through that horrible event. You give meaning to the saying, "what doesn't kill makes you stronger" :) You'll be the Hulk once you get through this :D
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Thanks, my "co-worker" was a vendor for a company, I told them to go away because I couldn't stand to hear what they were saying. My boss at Kroger, has come up to see me and gave my family a 30 Deli made sandwich platter. Finially got the wifi here to work, so hopefully it will stay on. for a while.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Good to hear you're going to be ok, Mike. I was almost taken from this earth in 1992 in a head-on collision by a drunk driver. I nearly bled to death and I was in the hospital for 7 days with a shattered femur, wondering if I'd ever be able to walk again. Even the doctors weren't sure. I was young and strong and proved them wrong. You have your youth working for you. Be strong and keep your head up. You'll be back to your old ways before you know it.

Zargon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Zargon »

Mike..........Glad your back on here! Get well soon!

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Holy crap Mike, you're a real trooper to make it through all that. It's really too bad that the good simaritans like you are usually the ones that end up getting hurt. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I can't imagine what you're going through right now. I hope you make a speedy recovery and that all will be well.

If it makes you feel any better, my truck is covered in mud right now. :P
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

Thanks for the update Mike, good to hear you are doing better.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Mike:

You need any reading material? I've got a few years of back issue TRAINS, Railroad & Railfan, and the Great Laker magazine. I'd be more than happy to donate to the hospital reading library (You get them first :) )

EMDACESteve
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by EMDACESteve »

Mike I glad you're okay. Myself and everybody will pray that you will be able to walk again soon. Just do what you gotta do to get better. Hang in there. You're at the best hospital in the state :D It will be fun for us to make up for lost time and tease :lol: you a little about raifan issues again.
:wink:

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Hey man, you gave me quit a scare when I first heard about this and I'm glad your doing better, you seemed to be getting better when I visited you the other day. Get well dude so we can go railfanning like we did before and this will be nothing but a bad memory. :) -Chris

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Glad and Happy your getting better by the day Mike. that morning was horrible i left watseka ill. about 800am eastern time that same morning in a blizzard route1 north out of watseka was a whiteout cars in the ditches everywhere i had a shovel and a 100lb bag of rock salt in the trunk. just in case. anyway get well soon maybee see you trackside somewhere in the future.

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

Hi Mike. We never really talked to eachother before. But I do hope you get better soon. I hope to see you soon

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

T Bone,

Sorry for being slow to jump in on this thread. I've been on overload trying to manage an aviation forum, and get in a little train watching.

Get back to being healthy, and start chasing the good looking nurses around the hallways.

We'll be looking for you to be back trackside in a few days. :lol:
Norm

nssd70
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by nssd70 »

Sorry to hear about your accident,but glad you are going to be okay,and atleast you can see trains from your hospital room. Again hope you get to feeling better and back to normal soon.

Doug

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

Hey Mike glad to hear your doing better. Hope to see ya trackside soon.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

Glad you can rejoin us Mike..I cant imagine the pain you went through..I wish you a speedy recovery!
Dave C

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Mike, Gregg said you got hit from behind. Its a miracle that you didn't receive massive head injuries from this accident and that snow definately cushioned your impact as well.Slowly but surely Mike you'll recover from this, just take one day at a time and you'll be back to your old self in a few months. I'm so glad you pulled through. I hope i can meet you at Durand
Exit stage left

Big T
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Big T »

Mike, I am a Firefighter/Paramedic in the Lansing area. Have been in the business for about ten years now. From the description of your accident, you are very lucky indeed. I have seen a handful of similar accidents to yours and have unfortunately seen a higher number of those victims that "didn't make it." I am very sorry for what has happened to you, but at the same time very relieved to hear your going to be okay... in time. I've enjoyed your posts on railfanning the South Lyon area, and you remind me more than just a little bit of myself when I was a teenage railfan (not that long ago). :lol: Take care, and get well soon. I occasionally make to the U working my second job as a Critical Care Paramedic for Sparrow Hospital, if I make it down there soon, I'll look you up so I can shake your hand. Hope and prayers.

Tavis "Big T" Millerov