The Famous Flying Diesel Corp.

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

The Famous Flying Diesel Corp.

Unread post by joeyuboats »

My son had sent me a notification about a CP wreck, in Mactier,Ontario. For some reason, I saw the date, and suddenly remembered, that Sept. 27,1955, in Hamilton N.Y., 68 years ago was the first flight of the FLYING DIESEL CORPS, on the NYO&W RY. Nobody killed, nobody hurt bad, but an F UNIT was airborne for about 100 feet. To this day, the person that lined the switch that caused the wreck has never been found.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Re: The Famous Flying Diesel Corp.

Unread post by EWRice »

I just read about this recently. It seems there was a young railfan pulled out of school and questioned by the authorities because he spent so much time around the facilities, and new most of the local crews. It was his knowledge of the crews and operation that got him off the hook.

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Re: The Famous Flying Diesel Corp.

Unread post by joeyuboats »

Yes, if I remember correctly,his name was Bill-- BUT-- there was a foreign student that attended Colgate University, that was covered by diplomatic immunity, that was asked to leave Colgate within a month of the wreck-- he was suspected of being the one that caused the accident. Bill knew so many people from NYO&W, that he was asked "" if there was anyone that worked for the RR that he DIDN' T know".