Railfan clearing clogged drains

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Railfan clearing clogged drains

Unread post by ~Z~ »

So a few videos about clearing clogged storm water drains showed up on my feed. Pulled up one, appears to be a railfan out east as he's wearing a CSX safety vest. Checked his channel, and sure enough, a few railfan videos. Funny to see the train videos not getting much attention, but tons of views of him clearing drains:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-zEvy3BaUw
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Railfan clearing clogged drains

Unread post by Saturnalia »

More recent video shows that culvert collapsing. I mean I'm not an expert, but I wonder if his unclogging from before had anything to do with it, causing premature erosion of the walls from all that flow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAycBJ8RB4c

I mean he probably didn't create the problem, but I doubt his "fix" helped anything. Leave this stuff to the experts, folk!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Trainman2223
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Trainman2223 »

"I wonder if his unclogging from before had anything to do with it, causing premature erosion of the walls from all that flow."

Most culverts are steel.. newer ones are ABS or some other form of plastic.. erosion of the walls, not likely unless it's not maintained for decades..

It is a drain....if unclogging it makes it fail.... :shock: tax money at work.....

DOT not maintaining the Drain/Culvert is the cause of the culvert collapsing....just like the roads,bridges and other vital infrastructure

Yes unclogging any large drain or sewer can be extremely dangerous...However when the city,township,county or state wont do the job (using your tax money) someone has to keep the water flowing and off the street....it sucks to make a U-turn due to a blocked drain...just my 2 penny's worth.

Video showing the cause of Collapsing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXEC6iev2Ew 9:00 begins the culvert walk 11:40 & 12:15 shows the "major" damage
Semper Fi

“I bought a perfect second car... a tow truck.”
Rodney Dangerfield

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Saturnalia wrote:More recent video shows that culvert collapsing. I mean I'm not an expert, but I wonder if his unclogging from before had anything to do with it, causing premature erosion of the walls from all that flow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAycBJ8RB4c
I mean he probably didn't create the problem, but I doubt his "fix" helped anything. Leave this stuff to the experts, folk!
I tried to watch that video. Had to mute the sound. OMG the world is ending! commentary turns me off. Fast forwarded to the end.

Their are potential liability issues with what he does even though done with the best intentions.
Assuming recording yourself doing them and uploading to YouTube is considered the best intentions.

Edit: Should have added that he participates in the google ad stuff. That means he is getting paid to do that "volunteer" work. That could be a real legal headache for him or someone else.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

It's a galvanized corrugated steel culvert. I'd suspect corroded, at the end of its service life and already failing. The high water flow may have hastened erosion but it was failing on its own. Galvanized steel culverts have a life expectancy of 50 years. Concrete 70-100 years. I didn't watch the full hour of drivall but it did pique my curiosity on the life span of culvert materials.