April 2018 Obituaries.

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Trainman2223
Railroadfan...fan

April 2018 Obituaries.

Unread post by Trainman2223 »

R. Lee Ermey, 'Full Metal Jacket' sergeant, dies at 74.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries ... story.html

R. Lee Ermey, the real-life military veteran who turned maggots into Marines in Stanley Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket," died Sunday morning from complications from pneumonia, according to a statement from his longtime manager posted to the actor's official Twitter account. He was 74.

Ermey carved his place into cinema history with his memorable portrayal of foul-mouthed Gunnery Sgt. Hartman in Kubrick's 1987 Vietnam War drama, and he would go on to play tough-as-nails authority figures from coaches to colonels to sheriffs and generals over a nearly four-decade career in film and television.

But his most recognizable turn by far remained the drill instructor hammering new U.S. Marine Corps. recruits Joker (Matthew Modine) and Pyle (Vincent D'Onofrio) into battle-ready soldiers in "Full Metal Jacket," a role punctuated by indelible and highly profane quotes that earned him a Golden Globe nomination for best supporting actor.

"It is with deep sadness that I regret to inform you all that R. Lee Ermey ('The Gunny') passed away this morning from complications of pneumonia. He will be greatly missed by all of us. Semper Fi, Gunny. Godspeed," manager Bill Rogin wrote Sunday afternoon.

Born Ronald Lee Ermey in Kansas in 1944, Ermey enlisted at the age of 17 and spent 11 years in the Marine Corps., receiving a post-retirement honorary promotion to gunnery sergeant in 2002. According to his official website, Ermey spent two years whipping new recruits into shape as a drill instructor at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego before being deployed in 1968 to Vietnam, where he spent 14 months, and serving two tours in Okinawa.

His service experience helped inform his onscreen work in "Full Metal Jacket," remembered as a rare instance in which Kubrick entertained improvisation on his sets.

As cinema lore goes, Ermey pursued and won the role after initially coming on as technical advisor, a role he played on Sidney J. Furie's "The Boys in Company C," Francis Ford Coppola's "Apocalypse Now," and Taylor Hackford's "An Officer and a Gentleman," the film that nabbed Louis Gossett Jr. the Academy Award for his supporting turn as a tough drill instructor.

Ermey went on to supporting turns in films including "Mississippi Burning," "Fletch Lives," "Toy Soldiers," "On Deadly Ground," "Se7en," "Dead Man Walking," "Man of the House," 2003's "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" remake and "The Watch."

Fans will also remember him voicing the Army leader Sarge in the "Toy Story" movies, playing Brisco County Sr. on "The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.," and hosting "GunnyTime with R. Lee Ermey," a weapons-focused docuseries that aired for three seasons on the Outdoor Channel through last fall.

He had a sense of humor about himself, particularly in 2010 when false reports of his demise circulated online.

"It's going to take a lot more than some internet rumor to kill this old Marine," Ermey said in a statement that summer while in Washington in support of a bill to rename the Department of the Navy to include the Marine Corps. "I can state unequivocally that I am still alive."
Semper Fi

“I bought a perfect second car... a tow truck.”
Rodney Dangerfield

Trainman2223
Railroadfan...fan

Re: April 2018 Obituaries.

Unread post by Trainman2223 »

Harry Anderson, ‘Night Court’ Star, Dies at 65

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/ ... BBHO6dr|13

Harry Anderson, the amiable actor who presided over the NBC comedy “Night Court” for nine seasons, has died at his home in Asheville, N.C., according to a local media report. He was 65.

Anderson was found at his home by police officers early Monday morning, according to a report by WSPA-TV, the CBS affiliate in Greenville, N.C. No foul play was suspected, police told the station.

Anderson was a magician turned actor who was known as a rabid fan of jazz singer Mel Torme. The affection for Torme was woven into his TV alter ego, Judge Harry Stone, a quirky character who ruled the bench at a Manhattan night court. The sitcom was a mainstay of NBC from 1984 to 1992. Anderson earned three consecutive Emmy nominations for his work on the show from 1985-1987.
Semper Fi

“I bought a perfect second car... a tow truck.”
Rodney Dangerfield

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

rsinoms
Human Moose Elephant

Unread post by rsinoms »

Former First Lady Barbera Bush passed away today.
You say trestle... I say Trussell!!!

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

rsinoms wrote:Former First Lady Barbera Bush passed away today.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ba ... 0ae8819fd9
R.I.P. Barbara Bush (92)
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

~ Charles W.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Mini Me from Austin Powers - Verne Troyer: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/a ... owers-dies
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Bob Dorough, jazz musician, and best known for "Schoolhouse Rock". He was 94.
https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/ ... dead-at-94
Jeff O.

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

"Buzz" the fly died tonight. Nobody cried or had nice words to say after he attempted to land in my beverage. Open casket wasn't an option as he was a smear of goo on the table after the humans finished with him.

He was probably only a few days old...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

"Buzz" is survived by his wife and 1.5 million children

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Pamela Gidley, (52), "Twin Peaks" actress, April 30th.
[ur]lhttps://patch.com/new-hampshire/salem-nh/twin-peaks-actress-pamela-gidley-dead-52[/url]
Jeff O.