Anyone know of a rail museum with a GEVO?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
J3rsdm5
Speak softly and carry a big tripod

Anyone know of a rail museum with a GEVO?

Unread post by J3rsdm5 »

One where you can go in the cab as well? The old friend Google wasn't any help this time. Bonus points for a UP Flags N Flares livery. :D
"If it ain't all red, it ain't red at all"
Image JJRicks Studios

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Re: Anyone know of a rail museum with a GEVO?

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

I’m not aware of any GEVOs that have been retired yet. The ES44DCs are the oldest model I think and only by a decade. SD40s and Geeps from the 60s, 70s, and 80s are still in regular use, so I wouldn’t bet on seeing one anywhere any time soon.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

There are no preserved Gevos and there likely won't be for the next 20-30 years.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

A museum in Pennsylvania near Erie recently acquired a GE -8, from NS I think, but I don't know the model. I think this is the same museum that got the cosmetically restored Chessie B30-7 as well.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

IRM has a UP B40-8 with a 1988 build date.. that's probably as new as most museums get currently. There aren't F40PH's as well which are in that "range" but most of those are older.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

IRM had the last pair of unpatched CNW dash8's on loan for awhile from UP but last I heard they were taken back and put into service again. Given the longevity of -8 and -9 locos so far with very few being retired yet, it will be a long, long time before a GEVO makes it down the asset sheet far enough that a big railroad would consider donating one. Unless a major flaw develops with the units that makes them difficult and expensive to maintain don't hold your breath.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"