So Where in the Heck Does "Peanuts" Take Place?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

So Where in the Heck Does "Peanuts" Take Place?

Unread post by Jochs »

Apparently, the comic strip "Peanuts" takes place (or took place) in an area where it is only cold and snowy around Christmastime. The rest of the year it is warm outside. (I want to live there!)
Halloween takes place in the fall, when leaves are dropping, and it's not really cold out. Coats aren't needed. Halloween in Southern Michigan can be like that.

In late November, during Thanksgiving, it is still warm enough to eat outside. That can happen in MI, but typically when it is that warm out, it is cloudy and rainy, not clear with blue sky.

Christmas in Charlie Brown's world is snowy, and everyone is dressed for winter.

By Valentine's Day, on February 14th, it is warm outside again, and springlike based on the way it is drawn.
Though it was relatively warm this year in mid-late February here in MI (near 70 degrees in S MI on President's Day Weekend when I went to the train show in Ann Arbor) there weren't any leaves on trees. I've been down south this time of the year, but pretty much had to be in Southern GA to experience spring. And you could tell where it had and hadn't rained...the grass was really green in S GA, and new leaves were coming out on Red Maple trees , while in FL, most Red Maples only had seeds hanging on otherwise bare branches, except where it is warmer, and trees don't lose their leaves completely. I use Red Maple as an example, as it is pretty much the only tree native to the entire I-75 corridor, from Miami, FL to Sault Ste. Marie, MI. When I was in Macon, GA in mid Feb 2008, they had new leaves coming out on them, further along than when I was in St. Ignace, MI in late May, 2015.

Easter varies from year to year, based on the timing of the first full moon after the vernal equinox. The Church uses the 14th day of the lunar month for Passover, and Easter is celebrated the following Sunday.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3317944/e ... each-year/
This year April 16th was Easter Sunday, next year, it is on April 2nd.
This year, it was on April 16th, next year, it will be on April 2nd.
Here in MI, it is pretty much anything goes when it comes to weather, it can be like winter or summer on Easter Sunday. In Charlie Brown's world, it is spring-like.
Image Image Image

This looks like a good place to live if you don't like snow!
I don't think Charles M. Schulz based this on his life growing up, as he grew up in MN.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_M._Schulz
He moved to CA in 1958, eventually moving to Santa Rosa, CA by 1969, where he drew his comics from his home studio. Unfortunately, that home was burned to the ground recently during the recent wildfires there, and his Sebastopol, CA studio had burned down in 1966.
Fortunately, the Charles M. Shulz museum in Santa Rosa, CA was spared from the wildfires, and his works were preserved.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

J T
Hates Supper

Re: So Where in the Heck Does "Peanuts" Take Place?

Unread post by J T »

Dude, you put WAY too much thought into this. :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I have never once wondered this in my life.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

You need a girlfriend...then things like this that cloud your mind become irrelevant. Why is air? what is up? Who was on first?
OY!
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

There's five minutes of my life I'll never get back. :lol:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Don't listen to those curmudgeons Jochs. I thought it was a refreshing bit of trivia. Now where my $5? :D

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I don't recall ever seeing trains in Peanut Land :? So it could be Thompsonville, MI :lol: .
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

AARR wrote:I don't recall ever seeing trains in Peanut Land :? So it could be Thompsonville, MI :lol: .
Here ya go. :wink:

Maybe I don't want to live in Peanut Land...I wouldn't be able to talk, I'd only be able to make "wah wah" noises like the rest of the adults.
:lol:
Jeff O.

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals

C&O6084
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O6084 »

'Way back in the 60s, there was a series of panels mentioning their zip code -- Southern California.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Jochs wrote: Maybe I don't want to live in Peanut Land...I wouldn't be able to talk, I'd only be able to make "wah wah" noises like the rest of the adults.
:lol:
Going through puberty in Peanut Land... :lol: :lol:

If they can understand the adults when they squawk, why can't the little red-haired girl understand Charlie Brown?
ImageImageImage
Jeff O.