Scanners and Bluetooth

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Scanners and Bluetooth

Unread post by Waddy »

So I bought a Bluetooth speaker the other day for when we are boating. I had an idea pop into my head, would it be possible to connect my scanner to a Bluetooth transmitter? My thinking is that I would leave my scanner and antenna upstairs (to get the best reception) and connect a Bluetooth transmitter to it. I would then be able to listen to it in my "office" in the basement via the Bluetooth speaker. Has anyone else ever tried this and if so did you have any success with it?

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Scanners and Bluetooth

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Waddy wrote:So I bought a Bluetooth speaker the other day for when we are boating. I had an idea pop into my head, would it be possible to connect my scanner to a Bluetooth transmitter? My thinking is that I would leave my scanner and antenna upstairs (to get the best reception) and connect a Bluetooth transmitter to it. I would then be able to listen to it in my "office" in the basement via the Bluetooth speaker. Has anyone else ever tried this and if so did you have any success with it?
I'd at least just try via your cell phone and a portable bluetooth speaker first just to make sure the distance between the upstairs and basement office isn't too far for bluetooth to travel. If it works ok, then sure, that option should work fine. I've left my phone inside, streaming music via bluetooth to my speaker outside when I'm working in the garage, works fine.

Alternatively, if you scanner has decent enough range, hook it up to a mini-pc and stream it over the internet. Then you can be anywhere and listen to your scanner feed. After I hooked mine up, I'd go on bike rides and listen to my scanner based at home. Now I moved my scanner to our super-scanner site and get crazy distance for reception while on bike rides or driving: viewtopic.php?t=33614
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com