R.I.P. Dallas Green, 82

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Trainman2223
Railroadfan...fan

R.I.P. Dallas Green, 82

Unread post by Trainman2223 »

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/dal ... li=BBnb7Kz

Dallas Green, who managed both Yankees and Mets, dead at 82.

Dallas Green, the blustery baseball lifer who managed the Phillies to the 1980 World Series championship before later also skippering both the Yankees and the Mets, has died. He was 82.

Green’s death was confirmed by the Phillies, who signed him as a high school pitcher out of Delaware in 1955. He spent much of the next six decades working in various capacities in baseball -- as a player, coach, manager, general manager, scout and other front-office positions.

He managed the Yankees for 121 games in 1989, going 56-65 while often clashing with George Steinbrenner – who he famously dubbed “Manager George” for the owner’s constant meddling – before he was fired on Aug. 21 and replaced by Bucky Dent.

“I don't think it was any secret we're both strong-willed,” Green said that day. “I've always said let the chips fall where they may -- it's just that sometimes they fall badly.”

Green resurfaced a few years later in Flushing, managing the Mets to a 229-283 mark from 1993 until Aug. of 1996, when he was canned and replaced by Bobby Valentine. Green was one of four men to manage both the Yankees and the Mets, along with Casey Stengel, Yogi Berra and Joe Torre.

Green also served as general manager of the Cubs in the 1980s, helping construct the 1984 squad that lost to San Diego in the NLCS. As a front-office executive in Chicago, he also pushed for lights to be installed at Wrigley Field, with the first night games being played there in August 1988.
Semper Fi

“I bought a perfect second car... a tow truck.”
Rodney Dangerfield