Can-opener in South Bend, IN.

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Can-opener in South Bend, IN.

Unread post by Jochs »

It looks like South Bend has a can-opener bridge. Someone destroyed a Ryder Truck on Lafayette Blvd near South Street this afternoon, after driving under a railroad overpass that was too low for the truck.
Those yellow X"Y' signs aren't just for looks.
http://wsbt.com/news/local/truck-loses- ... ain-bridge
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Re: Can-opener in South Bend, IN.

Unread post by Jochs »

This happened yesterday at the same location. The truck wasn't completely destroyed, though.
I guess flashing lights and warning signs aren't enough.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Looks like it could be Detroit :shock:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Reading through the comments on WSBT's post, it sounds like the driver didn't have much in the way of options to avoid the bridge. Apparently South Bend's downtown construction project is routing traffic under this bridge. Personally I don't like driving in downtown SB, especially in the area of these bridges, even in my two axle car. It can be pretty confusing, especially when you throw in the speed traffic moves in that area (the speed limits in that area are really just suggestions, I don't recall ever seeing them actually enforced), trying to maneuver a truck like that in traffic to avoid that bridge may not have been as easy as it sounds. And it looks pretty easy in the pictures because the road was closed by the time the pictures were taken- when the truck hit the bridge I doubt the roads would have been anywhere near that empty.
~ Charles W.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

It looks like they are unloading the truck into the one behind it. That will raise it a couple inches and jam it in there real good. :lol:

They should have loaded a few of those concrete freeway median barriers into the truck, and they could have backed it right out. :roll:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JDavis21835 »

hoborich wrote:It looks like they are unloading the truck into the one behind it. That will raise it a couple inches and jam it in there real good. :lol:

They should have loaded a few of those concrete freeway median barriers into the truck, and they could have backed it right out. :roll:
Eh, you make the bottom of the tires flat and you lower a good six inches

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

That's what the concrete is for. Also lowers the springs.:lol:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Perhaps transfer your customers goods from the damaged truck to a not-damaged truck so they can be delivered.