2nd Annual RR Fan Bike Tour

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Re: 2nd Annual RR Fan Bike Tour

Unread post by MQT1223 »

~Z~ wrote:My house to Caledonia is paved on the thornapple and I've ridden it a number of times. We can certainly consider it for a different day. Even some Friday night, a couple of us could meet at my place and ride the 10 miles out to Caledonia and back. Mqt1223, think you can get your bike to Bloomingdale for the 20th?
I don't see why not... If anyone will let me carpool with them that would help. Might be tough to fit my bike into the CR-V.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

~Z~ wrote:I am good to go for Aug 20th at Bloomingdale. I prefer the 5pm meetup. Probably better for you too with your camping schedule I'd guess. Should be a good ride out to South Haven and back.

Musketawa in a couple months sounds good too for a ride.
Since no one else mentioned any other opinion I would prefer the evening ride too. So lets plan on that.

Saturday, August 20, 5:00 PM in Bloomingdale at the parking lot near the caboose at the main cross roads/blinker light.

All are welcome, bring a friend or two. Leisurely ride to South Haven on the Kal-Haven Trail. Layover and grab some food in South Haven then return to Bloomingdale arriving approximately at dark . Trail surface is crushed limestone in excellent condition. Some portions paved, mostly in or near towns.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote: I don't see why not... If anyone will let me carpool with them that would help. Might be tough to fit my bike into the CR-V.
Take the front wheel off. With the front wheel removed, most bikes will fit even in a small vehicle.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
MQT1223 wrote: I don't see why not... If anyone will let me carpool with them that would help. Might be tough to fit my bike into the CR-V.
Take the front wheel off. With the front wheel removed, most bikes will fit even in a small vehicle.
Will do!
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

MQT1223 wrote:
~Z~ wrote:My house to Caledonia is paved on the thornapple and I've ridden it a number of times. We can certainly consider it for a different day. Even some Friday night, a couple of us could meet at my place and ride the 10 miles out to Caledonia and back. Mqt1223, think you can get your bike to Bloomingdale for the 20th?
I don't see why not... If anyone will let me carpool with them that would help. Might be tough to fit my bike into the CR-V.
Consider purchasing a bike rack for the CR-V. I picked one up at Target several years ago that could be mounted on the trunk of a car. I understand that the CR-V doesn't have a trunk, but I've used the thing with several cars and SUVs now and it works on all of them. It's not hitch mounted, it just straps to the sides of the surface it's mounted on.

This is similar to what I have, although I think mine will hold 4 bikes. Even though the picture shows a car, you should be able to use it on your CR-V as well, it's just a matter of making sure the straps are tight and stay tight.

For what it's worth, the rack has carried my bikes to/from college in northern Indiana, as well as to/from a friends' home near Logansport, Indiana (about a 5-6 hour ride at freeway speeds from my home on the east side of the state). I've had no problems whatsoever traveling at freeway speeds with this mounted on my current car (Ford Escape).

Also, even though it kind of turned into a spur-of-the-moment purchase when I bought mine, it's turned into something I still use years later, and it's still working well, with no additional investment (other than the lock and chain I bought before leaving the bike attached to the car overnight in a hotel parking lot last year, but that's really a totally different purchase).
~ Charles W.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

You can also use your bike rack to bring along your step ladder for railfan shoots.

*looks at JT*
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

I have a bike rack for a trailer hitch... Which I don't have.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

If there's trees around there's no need for a ladder 8)
Saturnalia wrote:You can also use your bike rack to bring along your step ladder for railfan shoots.

*looks at JT*
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Currently showing a 90% chance of rain on Saturday, currently showing thunderstorms from 5am-midnight per Intellicast. Let's hope that improves dramatically as biking in the storms does not comply.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

On some of my longer rides I've been caught in rural areas in thunderstorms and if it's warm out it's not as bad as you might think BUT I wouldn't recommend purposely doing it.
~Z~ wrote:Currently showing a 90% chance of rain on Saturday, currently showing thunderstorms from 5am-midnight per Intellicast. Let's hope that improves dramatically as biking in the storms does not comply.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Walmart has vinyl rain ponchos for $4.00. Don't leave home without one.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

AARR wrote:If there are trees around there's no need for a ladder 8)
Saturnalia wrote:You can also use your bike rack to bring along your step ladder for railfan shoots.

*looks at JT*

Unfortunately, there aren't always trees where you need them (but quite often there are trees where you DON'T need them).
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

Hi again Folks,

Looks like a fairly good chance of rain tomorrow. I think we are all adults here and can personally decide if we want to attempt to ride or not ride individually based on the weather information available to all of us. I know at least three others beside myself were probably going to ride tomorrow. I would need to leave around 3:30 at the latest in order to make it to Bloomingdale on time. I will post on this thread between 3:00 and 3:15 if I will be traveling for the ride. If it is light rain or even a spotty chance I will still go. I've been wet before and expect to make a full recovery if I get wet again. Green on the Radar is light and often isn't even raining at the surface. If it is a steady heavy rain or severe weather I will likely not go. In the event a majority of us don't opt to ride I would consider a rain date of this Sunday or the next weekend depending on feedback from other participants. If anyone was planning to go and would like to exchange cell #'s please send me a PM.
interested in trains

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Have fun, guys! :shock:

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

Hmmm looks like the rain is forecasted to have passed by 5:00 pm. Weather Underground showing less than 20% chance in South Haven after 5:00pm and radar looking good after current band passes. Thinking it might still actually be a go. Yes I'm being serious. will post my final update in about an hour.
interested in trains

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

Cancelled due to rain and multiple Tornado Warnings in effect.

Let's try again for Tomorrow August 21, 2016 5:00 pm in Bloomingdale.
interested in trains

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

I'm in for 5pm at Bloomingdale today(sunday). See ya there!
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com