OOPS! Amtrak Takes Wrong Route!

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

OOPS! Amtrak Takes Wrong Route!

Unread post by Jochs »

Passengers aboard the Northeast Regional Train 171 were upset when their train went the wrong way and went toward Richmond, VA instead of Charlottesville. This resulted in an hour and forty-four minute delay. (Not too bad compared to delays on trains out of Chicago (or into Chicago.)
http://www.nbc29.com/story/32386065/pas ... 4.facebook
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Re: OOPS! Amtrak Takes Wrong Route!

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Oh what I wouldn't give to hear that dispatcher call.

Dispatcher: Dispatcher xxxx
Engineer: You idiot you routed us to Richmond
Dispatcher: ....Woops, why didn't you check the switch
Engineer: Because I was following signal indication and... your an idiot
Dispatcher: Aren't you qualified on the district and you should have checked your switches
Engineer: But it's your fault
Dispatcher: No it's yours
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

A witness said it was 10 minutes before they stopped after being on the wrong track. I'd like to know the actual time. Seems an engineer would know immediately that his/her train has been switched to the wrong track, no?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

J T wrote:A witness said it was 10 minutes before they stopped after being on the wrong track. I'd like to know the actual time. Seems an engineer would know immediately that his/her train has been switched to the wrong track, no?
Wouldn't that depend on whether or not the engineer was qualified on both routes? If it was a line he/she wasn't qualified on, I'd think they'd realize the error quicker than if it's a route he/she runs on a regular basis.
~ Charles W.