Used Rail Question?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Used Rail Question?

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

An organization in my area (eastern Michigan) looking to acquire about 300 feet of 1:1 track and accessories for a future display, preferably as cheaply as possible. The last I heard, a couple weeks ago, nothing had been located yet, although they didn't have much in the way of resources for the project. Things may have changed, but in case they haven't, where would one go about purchasing rail/ties/tie plates/joint bars/etc., especially for such a small project? As I understand it, the organization doesn't currently have the room or resources to conduct any sort of operation, the materials would be used for display purposes only.

I don't want to name the organization, but if anyone knows of a resource the organization could use, feel free to send me a PM in lieu of replying to this thread.

Thank you!
~ Charles W.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Re: Used Rail Question?

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Home depot for the ties. Unless you need a truckload, about 400 ties depending on type and weight. There is a rail supply house out of Toledo can't remember the name off the top of my head.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Kovalchick Corp. in PA specializes in relay rail although it might be too heavy duty for your needs.... I think they have several different weights and profiles. Stella-Jones might be a good source of used ties if nothing is a good lead.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

If you or they are willing to travel to the west coast of Michigan, I can set you up with everything you need except ties. PM me if interested.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Call around to the local scrap yards and tell them what you are doing, Padnos in Lansing used to have piles of rail that they would torch into 1' sections. I'd be willing to bet they would sell some to save the cost of torching it.
A&K is also right down in Toledo but I suspect they will want market price for any relay rail.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e