Mass Shooting in Kalamazoo

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Mass Shooting in Kalamazoo

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

6 people were killed last night in a mass shooting spree in Kalamazoo. Two ladies, one of which is only 14, were shot but are still alive. The older woman is expected to recover. Doctors are not sure of the 14 year old.

The two men killed at the Kia dealership were just over a mile away from my home when it happened. Makes me rethink how valuable life is.

Hug your loved ones a little more today....life's precious.
KALAMAZOO, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - Six people have been killed in a series of shootings in Kalamazoo Co. and two others are in critical condition.

Full timeline of shooting spree

The situation began around 6 p.m., at Meadows Townhomes, off G Avenue, near Comstock. A woman was shot several times outside her home and is in critical condition at the hospital. The suspect then took off, eventually crashing his vehicle.

He has since been identified as 45-year-old Jason Dalton.

Hours later, around 10:15 p.m., two people--a father and son--were shot and killed in at Seelye Ford Kia, in Kalamazoo.

Around 15 minutes later police say Dalton opened fire at the Cracker Barrel, killing four people and critically injuring a 14-year-old girl, before again fleeing the scene.

In the course of police investigation, officers spoke to an eyewitness from the Seelye shooting, and combined that information with surveillance photos from the dealership, to develop a description of the suspect.

At around 12:40 a.m., investigators located a vehicle matching the description and initiated a traffic stop.

Police identified the suspect at that traffic stop, and he was brought into custody without incident. A semi-automatic weapon was seized, police say.

The Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety held a news press conference at 7 a.m. Sunday to update the public.

They do emphasize that there is no danger to the public at this time.

We're told that Dalton does not have a criminal record, and he is expected to be arraigned sometime Monday. Sources say that Dalton works as an insurance adjuster.

Neighbors say that Dalton had been acting paranoid prior to the shootings.

Several people have said that Dalton was their driver for Uber. We have also found that someone may have had an experience with him during an Uber ride yesterday. The following posts were put out on Facebook:

The Kalamazoo County Prosecutor says that Dalton will be charged with six counts of murder, two counts with assault with intent to commit murder and six counts of felony firearm.
http://wwmt.com/news/local/suspect-in-c ... ngs-7-dead
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Richard Cranium
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Mass Shooting in Kalamazoo

Unread post by Richard Cranium »

Evil needs to be eradicated from this world, starting with this piece of garbage. I wouldn't be opposed to a public execution in the town square.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

No apparent motive? Probably was on anti depressant drugs. This doesn't bode well for Uber.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Richard Cranium
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Richard Cranium »

hoborich wrote:No apparent motive? Probably was on anti depressant drugs. This doesn't bode well for Uber.
Except, this has nothing to do with Uber. Guy was evil and he decided to kill people. What he did for a living has nothing to do with the evil in his mind. Death to him now.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

I didn't say it was Ubers fault. But all the news stories mention that he was an Uber driver, and he actually drove some passengers between the different shootings, and the publicity isn't going to help Uber. And Uber is going to be blamed to some extent for not screening their drivers better.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

I've used Uber dozens of times. It is super convenient. It won't stop me from using the service.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Again, I'm not condemning Uber. Just saying they are going to suffer from the bad publicity.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Front page of USA Today has a picture of Dalton with the entire article about Uber. If the families of the victims could sue Uber for negligence and previous claims against Uber.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

hoborich wrote:I didn't say it was Ubers fault. But all the news stories mention that he was an Uber driver, and he actually drove some passengers between the different shootings, and the publicity isn't going to help Uber. And Uber is going to be blamed to some extent for not screening their drivers better.
Actually, he was a Progressive Insurance employee, too. THAT is what they should be focusing on.

And how can Uber be blamed for not screening him better? These random killings had NOTHING to do with Uber. And quite frankly, it's irrelevant who he was working for. He was driving his OWN vehicle, on his OWN time, and he just happened to provide Uber service to people between killings when he technically wasn't driving for Uber. He wasn't driving an Uber company vehicle, he didn't kill anyone who he gave a ride to. He didn't kill anyone when someone was in his car waiting to be taken somewhere.

The only reason Uber is even mentioned is because the media wants to sensationalize the story.
PatAzo wrote:Front page of USA Today has a picture of Dalton with the entire article about Uber. If the families of the victims could sue Uber for negligence and previous claims against Uber.

Frivolous lawsuits if so.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

And quite frankly, it's irrelevant who he was working for.
To you and me, yes. But the lawyers always sue the people or corporations with the deepest pockets. There is probably little to gain sueing the killer, and everything to gain sueing Uber. It's not right, but it is what it is, and this is America, one of the most litigious countries on earth.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

And the ironic thing, the Uber driver who did the shooting continued picking up passengers between shootings.
At least one passenger took Uber because he felt it was unsafe to walk around Kalamazoo at the time, and actually got in the suspect's vehicle.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... ou-he-was/
He noticed the car matched the description of the suspect's vehicle, and asked the driver if he was the shooter. Of course the driver said he wasn't. The passenger is lucky the driver didn't say he was, and shoot him, too. :shock:
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Ha! That guy might want to start going to church. :lol:

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Jochs wrote:And the ironic thing, the Uber driver who did the shooting continued picking up passengers between shootings.
At least one passenger took Uber because he felt it was unsafe to walk around Kalamazoo at the time, and actually got in the suspect's vehicle.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... ou-he-was/
He noticed the car matched the description of the suspect's vehicle, and asked the driver if he was the shooter. Of course the driver said he wasn't. The passenger is lucky the driver didn't say he was, and shoot him, too. :shock:
Haha the link has the whole dumb story. No need to click on it.