NS Research Train

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

NS Research Train

Unread post by hoborich »

Today, around 3:30 pm, I caught the NS Research Train, coming south on the Florida East Coast, through Ft Lauderdale. I did not have my camera with me, but I was surprised to see it in Florida. It was led by an FEC GP40, followed by an NS SD70 standard cab, and the two maroon research cars. Any ideas what it was doing in Florida? It will have to come back the same way, as the FEC ends in Miami. Maybe I can catch it tomorrow, if I can get some idea when it is coming back.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: NS Research Train

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Wonder if they're out there testing the first of the new Natural Gas-powered GEVOs. Or maybe just contract track inspection or whatever...

...based on your description, I'm not sure whether it's track geo or a dyno set.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Isn't FEC working on passenger service from north of Miami to orlando? Possibly helping to check out the track structure?
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Yes they are working on passenger service to Orlando. Construction is underway on the new depot in Ft Lauderdale. The train I saw had the FEC loco leading, then an NS SD70 standard cab, followed by a maroon strange looking loco I believe, and then a maroon observation car. It said "research train" on the side of the car. Someone posted a pic of it on this site a couple years ago.

OK, here is what I saw today in Ft Lauderdale, with an NS SD70 ahead of it, and an FEC GP 40 leading.

http://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/norf ... arch-train
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams