Spring Meet 2016

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Spring Meet 2016

Unread post by MQT1223 »

I searched first and came up with nothing, but has their been any preliminary discussion on the spring meet this year or any of the other meets? If I run them by my dad early enough he might let me actually go finally.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

J T
Hates Supper

Re: Spring Meet 2016

Unread post by J T »

Zack's first post about the spring meet last year wasn't until early April. viewtopic.php?p=330086#p330086

Stay tuned...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

J T wrote:Zack's first post about the spring meet last year wasn't until early April. viewtopic.php?p=330086#p330086

Stay tuned...
And that's how the "Spring" meet took place at the end of May...

I've been wondering where/when the next meet will be as well.
~ Charles W.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

I want to go, but I need to let my dad know WAY in advance cause I'm the only 19 year old with no freedom.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Probably should keep Deshler/Fostoria as the fall meet so we don't immediately repeat.

So something westward...Porter, Elkhart, etc.

TBH I don't think it would hurt to set a time/place earlier than April. Further out the less cluttered the schedule is, at least for me. I can move stuff around it instead of trying to dodge stuff for trains. Cuz that doesn't always work!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

I'd like to do Elkhart. My one buddy who is a signal maintainer for NS had to watch a crossing signal immediately west of the yard for like 5 hours because it was acting up, and the whole time we talked there was a train every 5 or 10 minutes it seemed like.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

I really like Deshler and or Fostoria. Meets are more social and not as much about the trains. I like having a good place to hang out. Those places are tough to beat for that. Butler was pretty good too. Chesterton was kind of weird hanging out at that guys business and not doing business with him (Riley's Railhouse). But I'll go about anywhere you have it. I would like to go to Rochelle sometime but realize that's a little far for this group.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Jetlink wrote:I really like Deshler and or Fostoria. Meets are more social and not as much about the trains. I like having a good place to hang out. Those places are tough to beat for that. Butler was pretty good too. Chesterton was kind of weird hanging out at that guys business and not doing business with him (Riley's Railhouse). But I'll go about anywhere you have it. I would like to go to Rochelle sometime but realize that's a little far for this group.
Rochelle is closer to me than Deshler is. However, the most direct way to Rochelle is I-88, and costs about $16 in tolls. To use the Indiana Toll Rd. I think it was just over $5 to go from US 31 to the Eastgate.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

I've heard Rochelle is overrated just because of the two sets of double track mains that come together along with the webcam, and that the traffic is not at levels like Deshler or Fostoria. Is this true?

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Jochs wrote:Rochelle is closer to me than Deshler is. However, the most direct way to Rochelle is I-88, and costs about $16 in tolls. To use the Indiana Toll Rd. I think it was just over $5 to go from US 31 to the Eastgate.
You can get to Rochelle for about $1.80 in tolls. It doesn't take that much longer to get there via I94/I80 than it does by I88.
MQT1223 wrote:I've heard Rochelle is overrated just because of the two sets of double track mains that come together along with the webcam, and that the traffic is not at levels like Deshler or Fostoria. Is this true?
You have a single track line with a really long siding (BNSF) crossing a double track line (UP), plus a couple switching operations thrown in for good measure (supposedly BJRY has an operation somewhere to the west of the diamonds, in addition to their operation on the southeast side of town). All in all, I'd be surprised if total train count was lower than Deshler. The angles and opportunities are different (Deshler lacks most of the food options Rochelle offers), but the action in Rochelle is usually pretty steady. Even though it's a good 6-8 hour trip, it would be an interesting meet location.
~ Charles W.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote: Even though it's a good 6-8 hour trip, it would be an interesting meet location.
3.5 hours for GR peeps. :D

Rochelle would be fine for me. Lots of good stuff to shoot out in the country west of town.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
GreatLakesRailfan wrote: Even though it's a good 6-8 hour trip, it would be an interesting meet location.

Rochelle would be fine for me. Lots of good stuff to shoot out in the country west of town.
When he said 6-8 hours he might've been referring to going to Rochelle and back.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

MQT1223 wrote:
J T wrote:

When he said 6-8 hours he might've been referring to going to Rochelle and back.
Likely not, he lives in Port Huron so it would be at least a 6 hour drive.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote:
J T wrote:

No, when he said 6-8 hours he was referring to where he lives. Hence my "3.5 hours for GR peeps :D" response.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

MQT1223 wrote:I've heard Rochelle is overrated just because of the two sets of double track mains that come together along with the webcam, and that the traffic is not at levels like Deshler or Fostoria. Is this true?
It depends on your expectations. Both locations are busy. I find the varying routes and traffic mix at Deshler more interesting. Deshler has more open space and opportunities to camp. Rochelle has a larger shelter, motels nearby and more restaurant options.
GreatLakesRailfan wrote: supposedly BJRY has an operation somewhere to the west of the diamond.
BJRY switched Del Monte just west of the park. Most of their work is east of the park. Follow the BNSF east and where it turns south along S Caron Rd the BJRY will be on the east side of the rode. They keep there power on the east side of town.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

MQT1223 wrote:
J T wrote:

I have an iPass, so the tollways don't bother me as much anymore. But it's still a good 6.5 hours, even via the tollway (5 to the Loop, 1.5 to Rochelle). The extra time would be for taking the scenic route- I80 to I35, with a stop at Troy Grove to see if the sand train is around.
~ Charles W.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote: I have an iPass, so the tollways don't bother me as much anymore.
Having an iPass is the best, isn't it? Jon Hall convinced me to get one about six years ago and it has made traveling in and around Chicago pain free (minus the traffic jams, of course).

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

If you guys are that worried about date, time, and location make your own meet. I'm sure ~Z~ would appreciate someone else doing the leg work and coordinating everything.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Some thoughts:

We will do Deshler at least once every year.. I can't stay away from all the positive factors around that location and site setup.

This time around, I'm thinking we try Wauseon OH for meeting on Saturday to watch NS...then late afternoon, flee south and setup camp at Deshler. Some of the guys just like to come down for a couple hours.. Wauseon isn't as far of a drive from MI (14 miles south of the MI border)
If sounds decent, I'll put up a main thread after I work out a good date for it. Any suggestions for a weekend? Mid may, early june? Toss out some dates and let's see what works.

Then fall meet, unknown yet.. maybe Deshler, maybe something like Elkhart or Chesterton or Rochelle...not sure yet.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Sounds good. I'm really gonna push to go to at least one of these events this year. I think Deshler is probably out of the discussion for me. Not sure how long it takes to get from here to there unless I look it up, but I'm sure the closer to the state line I stay the better off I am.