Spring Meet 2016

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Spring Meet 2016

Unread post by Saturnalia »

If we do Wauseon, let me suggest this: make Wauseon on Sunday.

Here's why. Many will want to come down on Friday evening, and keeping to Deshler on Fri and Sat nights is best for the camping option many take. If we have Wauseon on Sat, that means an extra leg to the trip. For us Michiganders, it would mean passing Wauseon inbound, backtracking to Wauseon, then shooting back to Deshler before going back north. Making Wauseon on Sunday makes it "on the way" for the majority of attendees. It also jives with the tendency of members to "work their way" back to Michigan, with a stop on the Chicago Line. So, it'd be more formalized that Wauseon be a stop from mid-morning into the afternoon.

Additionally, that leaves Saturday wide open with a beginning and ending at Deshler. That means we could also swing in a Fostoria side-trip like we did in the fall - working to and from, or exploring the Deshler area around Hamler/Lepisic. Hence it would be a Deshler-Fostoria-Wauseon meet.

At this point, I guess just pick any open dates for you, Zack, and vote as usual?

The weekends in May are 13-15, 20-22, 27-29 (Memorial Day Weekend). June is 3-5, 10-12, 17-19, and 24-26.

For the record, Wauseon-Deshler is about a 45 minute drive. Deshler to Fostoria is also about 45 minutes, but you're following the Willard Sub the whole way. Grand Rapids to Deshler is 3 hours 30 minutes or less, depending on how you set your cruise :lol:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

I vote for Baldwin!
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

How are the (photography) angles in Wauseon, especially from the park that appears to be on the north side of the Chicago Line?
~ Charles W.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:How are the (photography) angles in Wauseon, especially from the park that appears to be on the north side of the Chicago Line?
Relatively uncluttered in the fore ground. The park is a nice spot though you're on the shadow side the track. There are some signals to the west you can work in. Small town scenes to the east. The depot is set back from the track a bit.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I think it would be neat to do some place we've never done like Rochelle.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

SD80MAC wrote:I think it would be neat to do some place we've never done like Rochelle.
Agreed. And Oregon is a just a short drive to the west.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:I think it would be neat to do some place we've never done like Rochelle.
+1
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Unread post by tsinoms »

I agree. Change of pace would be nice.
I like having the idea of the spring meet be the "Experimental" meet. Try something new and if it don't work oh well at least we can knock it off the list. I for one can say I have fanned around Chi-Town and subs but have never been down to Rochelle. Sure it's gonna be nothing but GEVO's and ACe's but isn't a meet about the people and experience. Rochelle has my vote but if we do Wauseon I won't be sad at all.
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

MQT1223 wrote:
J T wrote:
+1
+2

Lots of other options nearby, including CPII a few miles north at Davis Junction, the UP line to Belvedere, and the CNW twins stored at Union. Eh, Wauseon might be a better idea- I'd have to take a few extra days to hit all my favorite places/usual stops.
~ Charles W.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Why not try something like rail fanning a shortline? Sure you won't see the train volume but chasing is always fun.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

MQT1223 wrote:Why not try something like rail fanning a shortline? Sure you won't see the train volume but chasing is always fun.
You totally don't understand how this meet thing works.

Deshler is hard to beat because of how it works. Nice park with camping and shelter. Sit around the campfire at night talking about whatever (and plenty of booze), while the trains roll by.

That's how this works. And that's why your idea won't work.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

It could work. Meets are just as much social as they are about the trains. Maybe even more so. As long as there is a good place to hangout in the meantime and everyone knew what they signed up for. I think most of us would prefer some more train volume though. There would be nothing wrong with a RRFAN "Come chase XYZ Shortline" day aside from a meet if someone wanted to organize it. We can't rely on Z to be our cruise director for everything.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Saturnalia wrote: You totally don't understand how this meet thing works.

Deshler is hard to beat because of how it works. Nice park with camping and shelter. Sit around the campfire at night talking about whatever (and plenty of booze), while the trains roll by.

That's how this works. And that's why your idea won't work.
Cue the "But I don't drink" reply any time now.

Jetlink wrote:It could work. Meets are just as much social as they are about the trains. Maybe even more so. As long as there is a good place to hangout in the meantime and everyone knew what they signed up for. I think most of us would prefer some more train volume though. There would be nothing wrong with a RRFAN "Come chase XYZ Shortline" day aside from a meet if someone wanted to organize it. We can't rely on Z to be our cruise director for everything.

But after a while, people will get bored of staring at empty rails, regardless of how good the socializing is. :wink:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I agree with you, J T. As much as I love Durand as a gathering place it doesn't have enough trains for a meet :( . However, it's a nice place go to when the building is open, visit the libraries and model railroad club, and catch the occasional train :) .
J T wrote:But after a while, people will get bored of staring at empty rails, regardless of how good the socializing is. :wink:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Sit around the campfire at night talking about whatever
Can we make smores? :)
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

J T wrote:Cue the "But I don't drink" reply any time now.
I don't. But watching all of you drink just adds to the entertainment value. Especially the following morning. :twisted:

The thing I enjoy most about chasing the 1225 and 765 excursions is the chase aspect. The thing I enjoy 2nd most is the social aspect. I've seen all kinds of people from both this site and my local area on those trips, usually by accident, and the five minutes or so of conversation before the train shows up can be the best part of the afternoon. I suspect a group chasing a shortline might draw some unwanted attention from the crew, unless it was a railfan-friendly shortline. So...as long as we choose the shortline carefully, I'd be up for it, even if ~Z~ isn't able to (or interested in) make the trip.
~ Charles W.

rob
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob »

What type of camping ? Tent or rv

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

I think it's just a simple fact that if the meet is in Rochelle, there will be a very low turnout.
Brett

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Bingo...

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

If it is in Wauseon Saturday and Deshler Saturday night and Sunday, I will make every effort to attend. If it's in Rochelle or out in Illinois, there is a 100% chance I won't be there, as an example.
Brett