DC-9's

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

DC-9's

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Jetlink, are there any DC-9's still flying? Delta had a lot of these still in service till just a few years ago. Here in Traverse City they were the better equipment they flew in here even though most were almost 40 years old. Now all we get are these un-popular RJ's. My head hits the celing in these canisters in the sky if they seat you in a window.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Re: DC-9's

Unread post by Jetlink »

There are still some around. The original DC-9's were built in the 1960's. I was actually on board serial number 4 in 1998 for some training when I was interning with Northwest. It was down for it's last major inspection. It would return to service but at the next inspection interval it was done. I'm pretty sure the date on it's airworthiness certificate was 1966. I went through the entire ground school course and simulator training regime for them. Sadly I was only an intern and never got to actually fly a real kerosene breathing example of one but became very proficient in the simulator. But I'm very grateful for the training time and other time I got to spend with them. As a 22 year old college student I thought I was pretty hot stuff at the time.

They were built strong and solid. The issue that would do them in had to do with one of the only composite parts on the airframe, the aft pressure bulkhead. You see it was fiberglass. Built that way because the fiberglass was easier to put in the shape needed. The way it was mated to the metal on the rest frame would be it's achilles heel. Those were the weak points on the bulkhead and eventually would develop microscopic stress fractures radiating from the attachment process and points of attachment. It was impractical, read time consuming and expensive, to take them apart, rebuild and replace them. So expensive that it was cheaper for operators to replace the entire airframe. So when the aft pressure bulkhead reached it's service limit the airframe would simply be sold or scrapped. That would literally be the only unserviceable part of the airframe in many cases. And it was based more on cycles than total hours. So they didn't all age equally or as a function of the calendar.

As far as the original DC -9 -10,20,30,40 and 50 go, no major US passenger carrier still operates them in regular service. There are freight airlines and some on demand and supplemental carriers that use them. Some are operated by the US armed forces. Many are still operated in foreign countries as well.

They were gas hogs compared to the more modern designs. The airframe still lives on the boeing 717 which is a DC-9 in every sense of the word with two exceptions: more modern and fuel efficient engines, and modern solid state flight deck displays. The MD 80, 88, and 90 are also DC-9's. The airworthiness certificate of a MD-88 actually says DC-9-88 . So in a sense the DC-9 lives on as the MD 80,88,90 series; and, also as the Boeing 717.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

I feel like I remember feeling dirty and smelly after flying on a DC-9 back in the day. :lol: I think it would have been one of these in and out of Lansing:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

James Sofonia

Jetlink, thanks for the elaborate report on the DC-9. I live right under 28 about 3 miles out and these aircraft were noisy coming or going. But inside the plane they were quiet with a smooth fast climb out.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I grew up in west Dearborn right under the landing track for planes landing at Detroit Metro, I think on runway 21R. I loved trains as a kid but the first word I learned as a baby was "plane" and by 1st grade I could tell most of the different types from their profiles from below. The DC-9s were distinctive for two reasons.....their engines had a particularly loud rumbley roar that would sometimes shake the windows in our house, and at least the NWA DC-9s had outboard landing lights right out near the wingtips. Unlike most other aircraft which had lights all clustered around the front wheel or on the wings right near the fuselage, the DC-9s had triangular appearance coming down through the mist or low hanging cloud ceiling overhead.

Ironically, I just came across this photo of a DC-9 rolling behind what I think is another DC-9 (could be an MD-80) at a gate at the Davey Terminal at Metro....probably around 1998.

PS - Great comments Jetlink about the DC-9 history and the story of the Achilles heal for an otherwise stout and standard aircraft.
Attachments
NWA DC9s at Metro.jpg

James Sofonia

Taken in 2005 in Traverse City, my Niece (2 Yr. at the time) was an invited to try out the right seat of a Delta DC-9.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Grew up about a mile from the airport here in GR. Whenever there was a REALLY loud jet taking off or flying over, my dad would always say it must be a Northwest DC-9 or a Fedex DC-10. They'd really rattle the windows!
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I remember watching planes takeoff and land at GRR years ago. Always loved the loud-and-proud takeoffs from those DC9s and the MD80/88s. Always wondered how such a small plane could make so much noise!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

Not airliners but we referred to Lear 23, 24, 25's as "converters". They converted jet fuel to noise. Small plane, big noise footprint.
Norm

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

I cringe every time I see MD-88 on my Delta ticket. Every time it seams I get stuck next to them noisy tail pusher engines that vibrate the fillings right out of your teeth. Such a lovely view of the side of the engine as well. I have been up front a few times and they were not too bad up there and definitely much better than a Cramped Rumble Junk. Every time I fly out of Lansing into Detroit those 20 minutes are like hell.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

ES44AH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ES44AH »

Allegient flies a MD-83 out of the airport here in Hagerstown and ive seen an unmarked DC-9 a few times also
Western Maryland-The Fast Freight Line.