Really Rough Railroad Crossings

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Really Rough Railroad Crossings

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Anyone in Michigan, or any other state knows of that one REALLY bad railroad crossing that they just dread crossing, regardless of whether it's in the town you live in or it's on the way to work. At some point they finally get redone, or they continue to cause havoc.

I passed Porter St. in Wyoming, Michigan the other night and noticed the road was closed at the crossing. The 3 track crossing that is in REALLY bad shape is finally getting repaved. Its a wonder that CSX has to hardly maintain it since only crossbucks are present and only the yard job ever goes in there. I had to take my time going over that crossing, the speed limit of was not something that I would recommend being anywhere near when it came to crossing those rails.

Anyone else have some really rough crossings to show or tell?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Really Rough Railroad Crossings

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I'm sure raildudes dad can elaborate on the costs and such. Interesting stuff, as usual.

One bad one I can think of is Alpine Ave on MQT just south of Sparta. It is 95% pothole fill. BADLY needs to be redone, but it actually isn't too bad to drive over.

Thankfully the CSX Mainlines downtown were redone in 2012? with the concrete pads. Have held up great!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

best example I can think of is in North Toledo, OH where CN crosses Manhattan Boulevard - that is pure torture!

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

RT. 65 west of Deshler used to be really bad but has since been redone, the SE wye in Deshler used to be terrible but has also been redone. Seriously if you had ever driven over the SE at Deshler you know what it used to be like.
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

3rd St in Ferrysburg is getting real bad. That is a problematic crossing anyway and needs to be overbuilt. All the loaded fuel trucks stop and take off across the tracks. Then, you have both loaded and unloaded gravel trains turning off the off ramp next to the tracks. I don't dare drive over it at more than 3-4 mph.

They finally fixed Taylor Ave in Grand Haven. I could watch the boards bounce up 6 inches or better as I drove over that one.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

Elizabeth street in Dearborn. Was redone with one of those pre-fab concert crossings... Which is great when the crossing is flat. Here the crossing must rise a few feet to be level with the row. So the result is a 3-5 inch piece of concrete you have to drive up and over.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

In Holly, Grange Hall Road used to be so bad they had SIGNS put up by the road commission warning you ahead of time. The road crossed CSX on the northeast side of town. Speed limit was about 50 MPH and it was not for the faint of heart. They finally fixed the crossing roughly ten years ago but the signs were left up for some time after.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

How's Dearborn Avenue at Delray these days? It always seemed like in the past, either the Conrail side or the NS/CSX side was in real bad shape....and they would alternate every few years....

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Couple of the crossings around here where the rails stick up are getting bad because of that only reason. Chicago Drive and 32nd Ave on the NYC are getting this way. The crossings themselves are fine but the rails stick up above the road. I bet the road commission hates it when the plow blades hit the rails. A bunch of the crossings by Joe Brown are getting really bad but those will never be touched due to the truck traffic. The Crossings that Grand Elk ripped out by using the CSX spur into Joe Brown were some of the worst in Grand Rapids. Fulton St, Watson Ave, Butterworth... All gone now. They were all bad, and the ones that weren't ripped out are really bad still.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

GP30M4216 wrote:How's Dearborn Avenue at Delray these days? It always seemed like in the past, either the Conrail side or the NS/CSX side was in real bad shape....and they would alternate every few years....
The Detroit Line side is in what we would call good condition, replaced sometime in the last few years. The NS/CSX side is ready for replacement. There is a section of track sitting at the crossing. The Westbound NS main has sunken down so much that locomotive plows sometimes scrape the pavement.

Until replaced exactly two years ago, the crossing at Caniff St on the Holly Sub was in worst shape with vehicle going no faster than 5 mph over the tracks. About a half mile south on the DCON, the crossing at Trombly St was the same way until recently replaced.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

GP30M4216 wrote:How's Dearborn Avenue at Delray these days? It always seemed like in the past, either the Conrail side or the NS/CSX side was in real bad shape....and they would alternate every few years....
last year, the asphalt had shifted so much, a CSX Q Freight scraped a bunch of it up with its snow plow to put it into perspective. Despite that I don't think it is the worst crossing ive driven over.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

milineamtrak wrote:The Westbound NS main has sunken down so much that locomotive plows sometimes scrape the pavement.
Here is a shot of said happening with a KCS unit at Delray. Look by the corners of the plow, it basically looks like black snow but it was most certainty pavement :lol:
Attachments
KCS pavement Delray.png
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote: I passed Porter St. in Wyoming, Michigan the other night and noticed the road was closed at the crossing. The 3 track crossing that is in REALLY bad shape is finally getting repaved.
Just to clarify, the the 3-track crossing is on Beverly, not Porter.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

wyrickj
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wyrickj »

CSX on Front St in Grand Rapids by the Grand River bridge is getting bad. It looks to me like part of the crossing board/plate is coming up out of the road and is uneven so one side is sunk and the other side is sticking up in the air
Pure Michigan Railroads
YouTube | Facebook

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
MQT1223 wrote: I passed Porter St. in Wyoming, Michigan the other night and noticed the road was closed at the crossing. The 3 track crossing that is in REALLY bad shape is finally getting repaved.
Just to clarify, the the 3-track crossing is on Beverly, not Porter.
Yes Beverly, not Porter. That's what I mean't.

Cedar St, in Owosso is bad on both crossings, HESR and GLC are both in need of serious work.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Barricades were up at the crossing on Dearborn Avenue this afternoon. CSX is also working on the crossing on West Detroit Branch at Chicago/Central.

CN is finishing up the crossing work on South Main Street in Royal Oak. They were putting in the new asphalt today.

ThatRailfanningKid
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ThatRailfanningKid »

Barnes Rd. south of mason is a fun crossing to drive over.
Evan