Suggestions For Traveling on the SS Badger

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Suggestions For Traveling on the SS Badger

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

Next week, our summer vacation will take us across Lake Michigan on the SS Badger. Do any of you have any suggestions for things to see or do while on the Badger, or in either port. The wife and I like historical stuff and I can drag her along on "some" train related activities. We also have a 4 1/2 year old daughter, so activities interesting to her would be appreciated.

astrovanman1989
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Suggestions For Traveling on the SS Badger

Unread post by astrovanman1989 »

maritime museumin manitiwok?

national rr museum green bay wi also a zoo

in duluth mn
lake superior rr museum
largest fresh water aquairium in us
zoo
tour a great lakes freighter
member of the
Soo Line historical society
DSS&A historical society
http://www.youtube.com/user/tricityrailfan

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

There's plenty to do on the shore of Lake Michigan; besides, Duluth is another six-hour drive from Manitowoc. When you arrive, there's the Wisconsin Maritime Museum, which is home to the SS Cobia submarine. To the south, in Kohler, check out the Kohler Design center, showcasing America's finest toilet technology (I'm not kidding), and the John Michael Kohler Arts Center. To the north, Sturgeon Bay and Door County are popular destinations. In the Green Bay area, tour Lambeau Field, visit the National Railroad Museum and Neville Public Museum, have lunch at Titletown Brewing, and explore Bay Beach Amusement Park.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

On the Ludington side while waiting for your ship to come in, check out The House of Flavors,great ice cream and food.
http://www.houseofflavors.com/

If you get a chance to see the arrival of the Badger it is quite a show to watch. They lean on the horns right at the harbor entrance and shake the town. Then they drop anchor and spin around to line up with the loading apron. A must to see for anyone in the area.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

On the good side aka Ludington, you can check out the Consumers Resivoir south of Pere Marquette Lake along Lake Michigan. It has a pretty sweet scenic look out a good 2-300 feet above the lake on the bluffs. North of Ludington by a 5 minute drive is Ludington State Park and he Nordhouse Dune area. The Ludington Northern Grade crosses the road twice on the way up to the state park.
For Food if you like beer, Jamesport Brewing Company has awesome beer and food. Ludington Pub has good food and local beer selection. Both are on James Street. House of Flavors is okay but it's usually packed like sardines during tourist season. There is also the Barley & Rye/ The Mitten attached to Sportsmens Pub. They have great food and one only has Michigan Beers on tap. Can't go wrong with either one.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

I'm curious why they have that safety gate open before they are docked, and the semi has it's lights on and ready to drive off.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

Not really a safety gate, but called a seagate. To keep high seas from rolling onto the deck while under way. Not much danger of that in the harbor. Also The seagate has to be raised before she hits the dock. In fact the docking process can't be completed with the gate lowered for several reasons. Watch it dock and you will see. The Semi is literally ready to drive off. As soon as she hits the dock and is secured they will roll. In fact the crew calls all semi drivers down to the car deck about 10-20 minutes before docking so they can be ready to go ASAP after she hits the dock. They want them out of the way so they can get at the more tedious task of unloading the dozens or hundreds of autos.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Thanks. I knew it was a seagate. But I also thought it was to keep vehicles from rolling off the deck.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Thank you for the info, gentlemen. We will be stopping at Lambeau and the National Railway Museum while passing through Green Bay. Depending on the timing, we are hoping to spend some time wandering around Manitowoc before our trip home. Now we just hope for good weather! :D

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

If you want to see a fascinating example of the right people working together, stand on the rear deck, above the Seagate as they dock. The captain will walk back to the aft docking bridge (overlooks the aft deck, has no steering only a telegraph for each engine) just as they are turning the ship around. As you stand there you can hear the captain sending commands via the Telegraph (ringing bells), then you hear the engine room answer (different bell sound), then the engines will do what the captain requests. Using only the two engines and four people they will gently bump the apron and strap her down. Keep in mind that of the four people responsible for this critical manuver, only one can see what is happening on deck (the captain). The other three are buried a few decks down only following the orders given by the captain via the telegraph. There is also a cool video online of the engine room of the badger during docking. Very fascinating stuff.

James Sofonia

pbmaxno15,

Did you ever take this trip? How did it go, can you post a few pictures?

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Pixl,

Yes, we did take our trip. It started with a wedding in Petoskey on Aug. 1. We got caught up in the storms that caused a lot of damage in that area as we were leaving town on August 2. When we arrived at the Mackinac Bridge it was shut down "due to high winds". We waited on the overpass that would have gone over the line just west of Mackinaw City Union Depot. We found out that there was an overturned travel trailer on the north side of the bridge that had to be removed. We waited about 25 minutes before the bridge was reopened. Our next stop was Tahquamenon Falls State Park. I can proudly say that our 4 1/2 year old daughter climbed every step from both the brink of the falls and the gorge to the trail above the river. I highly recommend the Tahquamenon Falls Brewery and Pub at the upper falls, if you are ever in the area. We then headed to Gwinn to stay with friends at their house on Johnson Lake. I could hear the CN trains as they passed through Little Lake on their way to and from Sawyer and the mines near Ishpeming and Negaunee. We made a couple of trips to Marquette so my wife could visit her alma mater, NMU. We did not see any rail action in the Marquette area, but during one of our trips to Presque Isle Park, we got to watch the Herbert C. Jackson load at the LS&I ore dock.
After a few days in the Marquette area, we headed south through areas of Michigan I had not seen in about 30 years. Gladstone yard was hopping as we passed. The bad part of all the driving was not being able to look at all of the railroad equipment. The next point of interest was Marinette Marine, where we could see three of of the Navy's Littoral Combat Ships, the USS Milwaukee, USS Detroit, and USS Little Rock, sitting in the Menominee River. We continued south to Green Bay where we made a couple of interesting stops. Our first stop was Lambeau Field. What an amazing facility. Our next stop was just down the road a little at the National Railroad Museum. This facility was quite impressive on one hand and a little depressing on the other. Many of the displays and original equipment on display are very impressive. The Union Pacific BigBoy 4017 and the Dwight D. Eisenhower were amazing. The drumhead exhibit was also excellent. The equipment that is stored in the sheds, like the LS&I #24 sits and is repeatedly targeted by the birds that make their homes in the shed. I am glad that this facility is able to protect and preserve what it can, I hope that they can continue to grow and to educate generations of railfans and non-railfans alike.
Our trip south continued that day as we headed to Port Washington, Wisconsin to visit with one of my wife's college friends. That evening we went to a Milwaukee Brewers game. The Brewers' fans are a dedicated group. You would have thought you were at a Big Ten tailgate party. Miller Park is HUGE. We had a great time and enjoyed the atmosphere. Two days later, we headed back to Milwaukee to go to the Wisconsin State Fair. The fair food, the rides, and the agricultural exhibits, especially the horses, were all a hit with the little one.
Our final leg of the trip took us back north to Manitowoc to board the SS Badger. It was a little gray and cool as we boarded and the moderate winds were producing 3-4 foot swells. We spent a few minutes watching the fabulous crew of the Badger load vehicles before our departure. We had a great trip across Lake Michigan. My daughter enjoyed the Kids Port play area, which was directly across from state room we reserved. I spent quite a bit of time wandering and exploring the boat and left a few dollars in the gift shop. My wife and daughter took a nice nap and I even snoozed for about 45 minutes. The arrival in Ludington was beautiful. The sun had broken through and was shining on the dunes. The evening light covered the entire area in an amazing glow. The docking process was quite impressive, and our vehicle was one of the first unloaded and we hit the road. After a quick dinner, we made the trip back to The Thumb and arrived home around midnight. We had a great trip filled with many firsts for our family. We stopped at some of the most out of the way roadside attractions imaginable and some of our nations more famous facilities. We look forward to doing it all again in next few years. I will try to get the pictures uploaded shortly.

James Sofonia

pbmaxno15,

I enjoyed reading about your trip, many of those places I have been. Great adventure.
Pictures when you can, thanks.

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Wagner Falls- Munising
Presque Isle Park, LS&I ore dock, WE power plant and The Superior Dome taken from Sugarloaf Mountain.
Herbert C. Jackson inbound Marquette
Doing the Lambeau Leap with my munchkin.
Our little Cheesehead!
My girls with the Dwight D. Eisenhower
The Big Boy with a crew shot
Stationary Steam
More to come!

James Sofonia

Nice job on the picture story. I hope you have some from the Badger

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

The DM&IR,daddy's favorite railroad!
The LS&I #24. The quarters were a little close, so taking pictures was tough.
A couple from the outdoor collection.
Bernie Brewer's slide inside the mammoth Miller Park.
Bernie Brewer and the munchkin.
My girls at the helm.
Ready to leave Manitowoc.
I can't find the Ludington pictures. I will have to ask the wife.