Michigan Ranked #1 State by Yahoo Article

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Michigan Ranked #1 State by Yahoo Article

Unread post by Ypsi »

Take it as you may, on a highly read international web site, this is still pretty neat

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/the-defini ... 77147.html
1. Michigan
Far too much of the Michigan narrative centers on Detroit and its many issues. The Motor City’s become a scrappily rising underdog you can’t help but root for, but Michigan’s greatest strengths lie in the state as a whole. Did you know Michigan has more coastline than any state other than Alaska? Did you know it has such an embarrassment of beer riches that you can easily hit Bell’s and Founders in the same afternoon? Did you know the UP is so remote and uniquely beautiful that it almost feels like a secret 51st state where they inexplicably love British meat pies? Did you know most residents are more than happy to apologize for Kid Rock? If you answered yes to at least three of these than you already understand Michigan’s charms. If you answered no to these questions, you should listen to the dulcet tones of Michigan tourism pitchman Tim Allen and get yourself there immediately.
Nice to read some positive for the state :)
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Michigan Ranked #1 State by Yahoo Article

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Michigan's state motto should read " If you don't like Michigan visit Ohio, you'll come back." ( Sorry Ohio guy's, just kiding :D )

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

I love the Pure Michigan commercials. Michigan is a great place to vacation and live............if you don't have to make a living here. Was up to the Soo locks last week for Engineers Day. Had a great time.

On the down side, the way the northern Michigan cops prey on the tourists up here, I'm surprised anyone comes back. The other night, a Richfield Twp cop, [St Helen] hiding in the median of I-75 made a dozen traffic stops at the 224 during the evening, many of them out of staters. Anyone lucky enough to get past him, found a MSP cop hiding in the turnaround just two miles up the road at the 226. If you got off at the 227 for Houghton Lake area, a Roscommon county sheriffs deputy was hiding along M-55 at Backus park, just a mile or so off the freeway. You can head up from the Detroit area and never see a cop, until you get to West Branch. Then they are everywhere, usually with someone stopped. They make one traffic stop after another at the same locations, just minutes apart. And if you stay on I-75, up around the 244, Gerrish Twp, Roscommon county and MSP set up their little toll operation around the 244/Grayling area. Once past Grayling, you are usually clear to the 320, where Cheboygan county hides in the media. Glad I could help. :lol:
Interestingly, I never saw a cop from the bridge to the Sault and back to the bridge. Maybe all da cops in da UP were gone fishing, eh.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

But then you could also just pay attention to the speed limits...

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

Oh man am I glad we took 131. Other than the HORRIBLE traffic in Petosky. We watched the guy in front of us rear end the poor sap in front of him. That's when we decided not to stop for dinner in that town. I had the old '76 Burban wound up pretty good for most of the drive. :wink: Hungry screaming kids is good incentive to tickle on the four barrels a little more than normal. :mrgreen:

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

"Keep Michigan Pure: dump your trash in Ohio. It is the RIGHT thing to do."
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT3001 wrote:"Keep Michigan Pure: dump your trash in Ohio. It is the RIGHT thing to do."
Don't steal my quote and change up the wording!

The original is, "Help keep Michigan clean. Dump your trash in Ohio."

:twisted:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by redcrumbox »

MQT3001 wrote:"Keep Michigan Pure: dump your trash in Ohio. It is the RIGHT thing to do."
Michigan ranks third in out-of-state trash imports. Just saying.
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.