Strange Airport Crossings

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Strange Airport Crossings

Unread post by James Sofonia »

While poking around the net I found this picture of a highway crossing a airport runway at grade! Gibraltar, almost an island only has one road connecting it to Spain, and it crosses the only place they could find to build an airport. The road, complete with railroad gates, closes for about 10 minutes for each flight. More here: https://youtu.be/sxhEFcaWnEg

Next I found a airport that crosses a highway. This one in Germany.

So then I thought are there any railroads that cross an airport at grade? Of course! This one in Gisborne, New Zealand. I hate the thought of the airplane trying to beat the train!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Strange Airport Crossings

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for posting those, Pixl.

Railroad tracks have crossed highways at one time or another but what you found is unique :o

BTW - the picture from New Zeeland that plane looks like an old Grumman torpedo bomber (F5F?)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Pixl, there are runways over highways here in the U.S. as well. And then you have that ridiculous tunnel in Holland. It blows my mind that they wasted such a large amount of money building it when a bridge as pictured above probably would have sufficed.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

The old Kent County Airport that ran from 32ND street to 44th Street had a gate enclosed road crossing at the end of its lifetime. Roger B Chaffee would be the runway and the runway ran south to about where Roger B ends today.
The airport closed on January 23rd, 1963. I remember watching many a plane land and take off from there from the fence on 44th. Always a rush for a ten year old to have a United Viscount or DC 7 come right over your head at that spot...neato!
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

KittyLitter wrote:The old Kent County Airport that ran from 32ND street to 44th Street had a gate enclosed road crossing at the end of its lifetime. Roger B Chaffee would be the runway and the runway ran south to about where Roger B ends today.
The airport closed on January 23rd, 1963. I remember watching many a plane land and take off from there from the fence on 44th. Always a rush for a ten year old to have a United Viscount or DC 7 come right over your head at that spot...neato!
This airport right http://www.airfields-freeman.com/MI/Air ... htm#kentco