Disaster exercise in GR area set for late June

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Disaster exercise in GR area set for late June

Unread post by Michael »

http://woodtv.com/2015/05/26/disaster-e ... late-june/
A massive simulated dirty bomb attack exercise is set to take place at the end of June in Grand Rapids, Michigan

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Re: Disaster exercise in GR area set for late June

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

17 years ago tonight the derecho hit Michigan with 100+ mph winds. I worked the next 14 days straight, 11 of them in the Kent County Emergency Operations Center on the cleanup. The Escanaba National Guard Engineer company was under my direction 10 days for assisting with the cleanup. (I have some good stories about those days :lol: )

I'm still involved with the EOC and am helping to put this exercise together. We have never practiced with the NG in my over 40 years of working at the Road Commission. I view this as an excellent opportunity for our local community to practice with the state resources. Public works will be practicing working with the NG on debris removal. It's supposed to be a "dirty bomb' incident but debris removal / clearing experience can used for wind storms, tornado's, flooding and even heavy snowfall.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

I have an IDEA ! Move the exercise to Detroit. Change a few signs. LOT'S of debris to remove. A win / win for everyone. Hello......is there anyone out there, knock if you can hear me................

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Just getting the public accustomed to seeing military vehicles on their streets! The dirty bomb is a nice touch. Be afraid. Be very afraid all the time. This isn't the America I grew up in! :cry:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

hoborich wrote:Just getting the public accustomed to seeing military vehicles on their streets! The dirty bomb is a nice touch. Be afraid. Be very afraid all the time. This isn't the America I grew up in! :cry:
Right. The America we grew up in had us hiding under our desks in grade school and muttering "duck and cover," as if that was going to keep us safe from the big bad atomic bomb. :lol:

My grade school building had one of these signs over the entrance door. It scared the crap out of me when I first started going there.

What the hell were they thinking? :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

hoborich wrote:Just getting the public accustomed to seeing military vehicles on their streets! The dirty bomb is a nice touch. Be afraid. Be very afraid all the time. This isn't the America I grew up in! :cry:
No military vehicles on the streets, just one convoy of heavy equipment from Montague armory to the Butterworth yard waste site and a convey of medical equipment to the Crestwood Middle School, no different than the convoys going to Camp Grayling for summer training that roll by my office on US 131 and have for 40 years.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Pass the tin foil, someone needs a hat made...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

CSX_CO wrote:Pass the tin foil, someone needs a hat made...
tin foil.jpg
:lol:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Why didn't they simulate a plane crash, or oil train wreck. Why a "dirty bomb"? A lot of Fox News watchers in here. Meanwhile, almost a TRILLION dollars for the military and the endless wars, while our infrastructure falls apart, funding for Amtrak is cut, and our National Parks are underfunded and have "donation" boxes everywhere. Just came back from the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, and there were donation boxes in all the buildings.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/u-s ... nal-parks/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

National Defense is a constitutional duty of the United States Federal Govt. Social Security, Medic insurance, etc are not.

If the country is not secure, there are no entitlements, infrastructure spending, etc.

A healthy Defense Department keeps us safe. All the naysayers just want more money to throw at other things to build constituencies.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

A healthy Defense Department keeps us safe. All the naysayers just want more money to throw at other things to build constituencies.
Here's your gun and parachute, and we'll let them know you're coming. Pick one: Yemen, Syria, Somalia, Pakistan, Russia, China, Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan. Oh wait. They haven't done anything to us. Never mind. Carry on. On the bright side, Fox News watchers provide the bulk of the casualties for americas corporations.
By the way, the greatest threat to your freedom comes from your own government, who overturned the Posse Comitatus Act, rescinded Habeaus Corpus, passed the Patriot Act, Patriot Act Two, and taps all of our phones without warrants or any probable cause, in violation of the US Constitution, and says they plan to keep right on doing it. You're obviously a young kid, and I would strongly suggest you get your nose out of the smart phone and pay attention to what is going on around you and in the world, and who is behind most of it. Your reading assignment is to research the Posse Comitatus Act, and Habeus Corpus, which no longer exist in this country.
Also research Pat Tillman and Jessica Lynch.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Just got a call from my broker. Sounds like tin foil futures just went up again.

It's funny how some people can be so trusting of their govt for everyday needs such as medical care and economics but can't seem to trust the govt for keeping them safe through national defense.

Sometimes, the govt has to do things a little beyond the legal. Ends justify the means. Those who fail get blasted (Johnson, Gulf of Tonkin), others are hoisted with praise (Lincoln, habeus corpus). Not saying they haven't ever crossed the line, but I don't think they've gotten out of control ever, not do I see that happening. The ballot box and the public at large are too strong. If you think martial law is coming, I recommend season DVDs of "Doomsday Preppers" and start canning!

I recommend a much less pessimistic view of American govt. It isn't out to get us!

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Sometimes, the govt has to do things a little beyond the legal. Ends justify the means.
Did you really write that? You may have a future in government. Your moral compass is pointing straight at government service. Kinda sad. The government is always telling us "We are a nation of laws". Except when it applies to them, of course.
"Stop waving the Constitution in my face! It's just a god darn piece of paper"! George W. Bush
"If voting could change anything, they wouldn't allow it"! George Carlin.
How did that "Change You Can Believe In" work out in 2008?
How do you feel about a US president who draws up a "kill list", and reserves the right to kill anyone, including american citizens, anywhere in the world, without trial, or proof of any crime?
Now, for extra points. What did Vietnam do to us?
What did Korea do to us?
What did Grenada do to us?
What did Iraq do to us?
What did Afghanistan do to us?
What did Somalia do to us?
What did Yemen do to us?
What did Pakistan do to us?
Last edited by hoborich on Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

For those of you who are quick to hurl the tin foil hat insult, consider this.
When hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans, the first thing the government did was confiscate ALL the guns, most of which were legally owned. And they were never returned!
When the Boston Marathon bombing occurred, the police ordered everyone to remain in their homes for three days, while they searched homes door to door, without any warrants, for one man. They locked down the city of Boston for three days. That is martial law, regardless of what they try to call it. And many people including myself, feel it was done to test public reaction to martial law. And the sheeple just quietly accepted it and remained in their homes as told!

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Sigh.... :roll:

MQT here is a little advice.

Last edited by Typhoon on Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Are you really trying to say that going after the Boston Bombers without a warrant was illegal? How else were they going to find them? If there is a terrorist on the lose, I'm okay with the govt going door to door to find him, if that where they think he may be. Catch that SOB as fast as possible, please. You think they were going to wait for a search warrant to go into that backyard? Of course not!!

So you say this was a test of martial law? As in, the govt testing to see if they found just walk in and use it at will to subvert democracy? Surely, you're kidding.

Special times call for special measures. Once again, by and large, I accept what my govt has done as a trustee of my freedoms and rights.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Are you really trying to say that going after the Boston Bombers without a warrant was illegal?
I'm saying going house to house through a large part of the city, and searching homes without a warrant or probable cause is illegal! Absolutely! And now that they have established that precedent, what is to stop them from going house to house and searching private homes without a warrant, every time they are looking for someone.
Special times call for special measures.
You and Dick Cheney would get along just great.
"Sometimes we have to go to the dark side".
Dick Cheney
National Defense is a constitutional duty of the United States Federal Govt. Social Security, Medic insurance, etc are not.
If you feel that way, maybe they will let you opt out of Social Security, if you ever get a real job. Just send them a letter that Social Security is not a duty of the government, and you want to opt out. Tell them to stop taking Social Security and Medicare out of your meager paycheck. Let me know how that works out for you. :lol:

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Typhoon wrote:Sigh.... :roll:

MQT here is a little advice.

Never let the facts get in the way of a personal insult. :lol:

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Newsflash Mr Tin Foil Hat. It was both a personal insult and a factual statement all at the same time. Try to keep up.

Now I need to listen to Mr Clemens advice.. :lol: